Sunday, May 30, 2010
Friday, May 28, 2010
"Beauty is not the face; beauty is a light in the heart."
'Light of the heart'
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Monday, May 24, 2010
HOSTA ~ LADY'S MANTLE
Bleeding Heart (Dicentra spectabilis 'Gold Heart')
HEUCHERA ~ LIGULARIA
Thursday, May 20, 2010
"May your life be like a wildflower growing freely in the beauty and joy of each day"
~ Native American proverb
Yellow Lady's Slipper
(Cypripedium Calceolus L.)
CHEVRE and MOREL CHEESECAKE
(Goat Cheesecake with Mushrooms)
~ Savory Cheesecake from France ... Routas Culinary Director Frances Wilson
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup breadcrumbs
5 Tbsp. melted butter
course salt & freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 washed and finely chopped leek
4 oz. washed fresh morel mushrooms
(or favorite wild mushrooms)
12 oz. fresh chevre
(or favorite goat cheese)
12 oz. softened cream cheese
1 cup creme fraiche
1 lightly beaten large egg
1 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs like tarragon, parsley or thyme
3 Tbsp. flour
2 tsp. salt
2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and butter in a bowl. Season with salt & freshly ground pepper. Press into base of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Heat butter in a pan and add leeks. Cook over low heat to soften the leeks. Add morels. Cook for a couple of minutes. Allow to cool.
- Place chevre, softened cream cheese and creme fraiche. Mix in the egg, chopped herbs, flour and salt. Add leeks and morels and combine.
- Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold into the mixture. Pour mixture over the base.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes to an hour our until almost set. Cool in oven for a further hour. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve. Serve as appetizer or lunch dish with green salad.
NOTE: Found in swamps, bogs, wet woods. Flower is yellow, inflated pouch, single or sometimes 2 per stem. Petals are long, narrow, twisted, and mottled with brown or purple. Stem is leafy with 3-6 broad, parallel veined leaves that somewhat sheath the stem.
(Michigan Wildflowers in Color)
Protected Michigan Wildflower ~ DO NOT DISTURB
Monday, May 17, 2010
"Here comes the time when, vibrating on its stem, every flower fumes like a censer; and noises perfumes circle in the evening air."
Saturday, May 15, 2010
"How fair is a garden amid the toils and passions of existence."
~ Benjamin Disra