Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Thursday, July 22, 2010
CHERRY CLAFOUTIS 'LIMOUSIN'
~ Clafoutis or clafouti (pronounced kla-foo-TEE) is a French country cherry flan from the Limousin region of France. Best made during cherry season but with good quality canned cherries available, this dessert or brunch recipe can be enjoyed year-round.
1 - 1 1/2 lbs. pitted cherries, (drained if using canned)
3 organic eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. Kirsch (cherry brandy)
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
- Beat sugar and eggs together until light in color. Gradually whisk in butter until incorporated. Add flour all at once and whisk until batter is homogeneous. Slowly pour in milk, a bit at a time. Add vanilla & Kirsch, mixing well.
- Place pitted cherries in buttered 9-10 inch glass or earthenware baking dish. Pour batter over fruit. Bake approximately 30-40 minutes until slightly browned and almost completely set in the middle. Allow to rest 15 minutes before serving. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. ( 6-8 servings)
- Leftovers (probably not) are excellent for brunch.
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
- Heat oven to 350º.
- Coat 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon 1/3 of sauce over bottom of pan. Arrange 1/2 of the ravioli on top and scatter the spinach over them. Top with 1/2 of each cheese. Cover with another layer of ravioli and remaining sauce and cheese. Sprinkle with basil.
- Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes more or until bubbly. Let rest a bit before serving. (6 servings) Note: Serve with crusty herb bread and crunchy green salad
4-6 mini-loaves (or 1 large loaf) crusty bread
1 - 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. parsley
Melt butter in saucepan. Add pepper, garlic powder and herbs. Slice bread diagonally but not completely through. Brush herb butter between slits and over top. Bake in 350-degree over for 20 minutes.