Thursday, January 25, 2007

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY" ~ ROBERT BURNS!

Today is the 248th anniversary of Scottish poet Robert Burns' birthday. Sit by the fire after dinner, sip a bit of Scotch whiskey and nibble on Scottish Oatcakes, Stilton cheese and toasted nuts.
Scottish Oatcakes
(All Around the World Cookbook ~ Sheila Lukins)
Process 2 cups rolled oats in food processor until they resemble coarse flour. Transfer to bowl and add 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp. salt, mixing well. Add 2 Tbsp. melted butter combining with wooden spoon, adding 1/3 cup water, a bit at a time, until combined.
Scatter 1/4 cup rolled oats on work surface. Gather dough in a ball and roll in oats. Roll dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 2 1/2 - inch rounds and bake 15 minutes in 350 degree oven until edges lightly golden. Cool 15 minutes before serving. (20 oatcakes)

A Red, Red Rose
~ Robert Burns

My love is like a red, red rose
That’s newly sprung in June :
My love is like the melody
That’s sweetly played in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in love am I :
And I will love thee still, my dear,
Till a’ the seas gang dry.
Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi’ the sun :
And I will love thee still, my dear,
While the sands o’ life shall run.
And fare thee weel, my only love,
And fare thee weel a while !
And I will come again, my love,
Thou’ it were ten thousand mile.


No comments: