- Pound veal cutlets to 1/4 inch thick. Stir together flour, salt & pepper; dredge both sides of cutlets in flour mixture.
- In large skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Cook veal 1-2 minutes on each side.
- In another skillet, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Cook mushrooms until they just start to lose their juices. Stir wine into mushrooms.
- Pour mushrooms and wine over veal and simmer 3-5 minutes. (4 servings). Serve with Potato Gratin with Mustard & Gruyere Cheese and fresh asparagus (steamed, grilled or roasted).
POTATO GRATIN with MUSTARD & GRUYERE CHEESE
~ A 25 year old favorite form Bon Appetit (Oct/1992)
3 1/2 lbs. peeled russet potatoes, cut 1/8-inch thick slices
1 1/2 tsp. dried dillweed
3 cups grated Gruyere cheese (about 10 oz.)
1 1/3 cups whipping cream
1 1/3 cups (organic) chicken stock
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
(coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.
- Overlap 1/3 of potatoes in prepared dish. Season generously with salt & freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. dillweed and 1 cup cheese. Repeat layering twice, using 1/3 of potatoes, 1/2 tsp. dillweed and 1 cup cheese for each layer.
- Whisk cream, stock and mustard in bowl. Pour over potatoes. Bake until potatoes are tender and top is crusty and brown, about 1 hour.
- Cook 10 minutes and serve. (8 servings)