Stir together sugar and 1/2 cup boiling water until sugar dissolves. Stir in lemon juice and 5 cups cold water. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh mint sprigs. (8 cups)
- Souvlaki: In plastic sealable bag combine lemon juice, oregano, olive oil, salt and garlic. Seal bag and shake to combine. Add chicken to bag; seal and shake to coat. Marinate chicken in bag for at least 30 minutes, turning once. Remove chicken from bag, discard marinade, and thread chicken, zucchini, and peppers alternately onto 8 (8-inch) skewers. Coat grill with cooking spray and grill over medium-high (about 8 minutes) or until chicken is done, turning once. Serve with tzatziki sauce and lemon couscous.
- Tzatziki Sauce: Combine all ingredients and let rest at least 30 minutes for flavors to meld.
2 (5.4 oz.) packages couscous mix
Combine broth, lemon rind, lemon juice, seasoning packet from couscous mix, and butter. Bring to boil and stir in couscous. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and bell pepper.
LIGULARIA 'The Rocket' ~ ASTILBE
FORMOSA LILY 'Easter Lily'
'BIG FAT' BUTTERMILK COOKIES
~ The best cookie with lemonade ... for many years this was sold by 'the kids' accompanied by lemonade in their summer 'Lemonade Stand'
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
2 large eggs
2 tsp. real vanilla
4 cups AP flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 cup buttermilk
Cinnamon & sugar mixture to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream shortening and sugar; add vanilla and eggs. Beat well.
- Combine flour, salt, and soda.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in 3 separate portions.
- Drop dough from tablespoon on sprayed with Pam cookie sheet to make large cookies. (Do not try to make these small). Sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes ... watch closely ... they should not brown (turn oven down to 375-400 degrees for 12 minutes if this seems too high). (4 dozen or so 4-inch cookies)