(a gardener's gift)
~ Simple Saturday night supper ... harvest rich and autumn friendly on a chilly day
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped red or sweet onion
1 1/2 cups chopped (well-washed) leeks
1 cup chopped carrots or sweet potato
4 minced garlic cloves
1 quarts organic chicken broth
1 cup white wine
1 28-oz. can diced Italian tomatoes
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme (1 tsp. dried)
2 bay leaves
1 16 oz. cans rinsed and drained cannellini or garbanzo beans
3 cups baby spinach leaves
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in large stockpot. Add onion, leek, carrot/sweet potato and garlic. Saute 5 minutes or until limp.
- Add chicken broth, wine, tomatoes, pepper flakes, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add beans and and simmer 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves and add spinach.
- Serve topped with grated Parmesan cheese. (8 servings)
GRILLED VEGGIE PANINI
8 slices Japanese (or thin skinned) eggplant (4 in. long & 1/4 in. thick)
8 sliced lengthwise small zucchini (1/4 in. thick)
8 slices red pepper (1/4 inch thick)
8 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. herbes de Provence
coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 Tbsp. good pesto
8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese
8 slices good country-style or sourdough bread
- Preheat grill or panini press.
- Combine olive oil, herbes de Provence, salt & pepper. Toss eggplant, zucchini and red pepper slices with 3 Tbsp. of seasoned olive oil. Grill in batches, 1-2 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to plate.
- Brush 1 side of each slice of bread with seasoned olive oil. Turn oil side over on clean surface.
- Cover 4 slices of bread with 2 slices of each vegetable. Arrange cheese on top.
- Spread pesto on remaining 4 slices of bread. Place pesto side down over stacked bread.
- Cook on grill panini press until bread is golden and cheese is melted (3-5 minutes). Slice in half. (4 servings)