"Oh, with a little luck ~ December will be magic again."
~ Kate Bush
(Return of the native ~ 4th year)
CHOCOLATE BOURBON BUNDT CAKE
~ Perhaps because the taste is so memorable, ideal for holiday entertaining and Derby Day, this same recipe is posted on many websites ... this keeper is from Wickwood Inn ...
2 sticks unsalted butter (more for greasing pan)
2 cups all-purpose flour
5 oz. good quality unsweetened chocolate
(like Ghirardelli 60% or 70% cacao for baking)
1/4 cup instant espresso powder
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup bourbon and more for dousing
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda
Confectioner's sugar or softly whipped cream for garnish
- Butter and flour a 10-cup Bundt pan. Preheat oven to 325-degrees.
- Over simmering water, melt chocolate. Let cool.
- Put espresso and cocoa powders in 2-cup or larger glass measuring cup. Add enough boiling water to come to the 1 cup measure. Mix until powders dissolve. Add bourbon and salt, and let cool.
- Using electric mixer, butter until fluffy. Add sugar and cream until well combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add vanilla, baking soda and melted chocolate, scraping down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula.
- On low speed, beat in a third of the bourbon mixture. When liquid is absorbed, beat in 1 cup flour. Repeat, ending with bourbon mixture. Scrape batter into Bundt pan and smooth top. Bake until cake tester comes out clean, about 70 minutes and sprinkle warm cake with more bourbon. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.