"No Spring nor Summer Beauty hath such grace
As I have seen in one Autumnal face."
~ John Donne
Basket of Mums
CARAMELIZED ONION PORK TENDERLOIN
with CRANBERRY/CHERRY CHUTNEY
~ A 'winner autumnal dinner' adapted from April 1999 COOKING LIGHT magazine
2 (1 lb. or more) well-trimmed pork tenderloins
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 thinly sliced onion
juice and zest of 1 lemon
6 Tbsp. dry red wine
2 crushed garlic cloves
Dried Cranberry/Cherry Chutney:
4 cup dried cranberries and/or cherries
1 cup sugar
2 cups orange juice
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
1 cup diced Vidalia (sweet) onions
1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. minced jalapeno pepper
2 Tsp. cilantro
1 tsp. cardamom
1 tsp. ground cumin
juice and zest of 1 fresh lemon
1 tsp. ground cloves
2 (3-in.) cinnamon sticks
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 cups thinly sliced onions (red or yellow)
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup dry red wine
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients for marinade and pour into zip-lock bad. Add tenderloins, seal and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Cranberry/Cherry Chutney: (make ahead) Combine all ingredients in large saucepan, bring t boil, reduce heat and cook uncovered until thick (abut 1 hour), stirring occasionally. Discard cinnamon sticks. Place in airtight container and chill until ready to serve. (Leftovers delicious on block of cream cheese, brie, or log of goat cheese.)
- To Serve: Remove met from marinade and discard marinade. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Prepare Caramelized Onions*. Place pork on hot grill, reduce heat to medium-high, close cover and grill 10 minutes. Turn and continue grilling for another 10 minutes (internal temperature of 160º - slightly pink). Or bake at 425º for 20 minutes. Let rest before slicing 1/4-inch thick slices. Serve with Caramelized Onions and Cranberry/Cherry Chutney. (8 servings).
* Caramelized Onions: Melt butter in skillet. Add onion and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with sugar (helps onions to brown) and continue cooking for 25 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring constantly. Add wine and cook for 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
ROASTED GOAT CHEESE POTATOES
8 well scrubbed favorite potatoes, cut into small wedges
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 minced garlic cloves
chopped fresh rosemary to taste
coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
6-8 z. crumbled goat cheese
additional freshly chopped rosemary
- Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and rosemary and toss with potatoes. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes or longer.
- Preheat oven to 425º. Drain potatoes and spread on lightly oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Bake 45 minutes, turning occasionally, for 45 minutes or until browned.
- Place in bowl and toss with crumbled goat cheese Sprinkle with fresh chopped rosemary.