- Unfold pastry sheets, and roll each sheet into a 14 x 12-in. rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Cut sheet into four 7 x 6-in. rectangles; cut second sheet into two 7 x 6 in. rectangles and one 12 x 6 in. rectangle. Set large rectangle aside. Shape each small rectangle into and oval by trimming off corners. Spread pastry ovals evenly with cheese.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and coarsely ground pepper. and place in center of each pastry oval. Lightly moisten pastry edges with water. Fold ends over chicken; fold sides over and press to seal. Place bundle, seam side down, on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cut remaining large pastry rectangle into 12 x 1/4-in. strips. Braid 2 strips together and place crosswise over chicken bundles, trimming and reserving excess braid; braid 2 additional strips, and place lengthwise over bundle, trimming and tucking ends under. Repeat procedure with remaining strips. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours, if desired.
- Combine egg and 1 Tbsp water; brush over pastry bundles. Bake at 400º on lover oven rack 25 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with flowering kale. ( 6 servings) Delicious served with roasted vegetables.
ROASTED VEGETABLES with PECAN GREMOLATA
~ Sure to become an autumn favorite from old (Nov 2003) Bon Appetit.
1 lb. medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, then crosswise
1 lb. medium parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise, then crosswise
1 lb. turnips, peeled, halved, cut into 1-inch thick wedges
1 1/4 lbs. brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved
6 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup pecans
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 oz.)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
1 Tbsp finely grated lemon peel
1 clove minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees. Toss carrots, parsnips, turnips, and brussels sprouts in large brown with 3 Tbsp. oil. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle with salt & freshly ground pepper. Roast until vegetables are tender, tossing often, about 1 hour. Transfer vegetables to large platter; cool.
- Using on/off turns, chop pecans in processor until coarsely ground. Transfer ground pecans to small bowl.; stir in grated cheese, parsley, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, lemon peel, garlic and 1 Tbsp. oil. Season gremolata to taste with salt.
- Drizzle vegetables with remaining 2 Tbsp. oil and remaining 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. Sprinkle gremolata over vegetables just before serving. (8 servings)