Tuesday, October 25, 2011

PLAYIN' IN THE LEAVES ~ SIMPLE TUSCAN CHICKEN / GRILLED EGGPLANT and GOAT CHEESE SALAD

"Every leaf speak bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree."


~ Emily Bronte


AUTUMN TEXTURE ABSTRACT


"But I remember more dearly autumn afternoons in bottoms that lay intensely silent under old great trees."

~ C.S. Lewis



SIMPLE TUSCAN LEMON CHICKEN
~ easy autumn fare

6 boneless chicken breast (or thighs)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
juice and zest from 1 lemon
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
freshly ground black pepper and coarse salt to taste

  • Combine olive oil, lemon juice, zest, garlic, rosemary, thyme, pepper and salt. Pour over chicken and marinate several hours or overnight.
  • Remove chicken from marinade and grill on med-high for 20-30 minuted, depending on size of breast. Turn every 10 minutes and baste with remaining marinade. Cover and let rest before serving.




GRILLED EGGPLANT and GOAT CHEESE SALAD
~ From Giada De Laurentiis

3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
7 Japanese eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into 1-in. wide slices
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
3 oz. crumbled goat cheese
1/3 cup thinly sliced basil
2 Tbsp. chopped mint
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1.2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

  • Place a grill pan over med-high heat or preheat gas or charcoal grill.
  • Drizzle olive oil over slices of eggplant and toss to coat. Grill eggplants until tender and grill marks appear, about 3-4 minutes per side.
  • Place eggplants side-by-side on serving platter. Sprinkle with pine nuts, goat cheese, basil, and mint. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. (4-6 servings)


20 comments:

imac said...

Just puts the mind,mood,and marvel into Art, my friend.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Joey, the Bronte quote is perfect for this time of year, and that grilled eggplant salad may find its way into my menu plan this week! Sounds scrumptious!

lindalou said...

Your photos take my breath away. And the chicken sounds yummy.

joey said...

Thank iMac ... you always make me smile :)

Thanks Clare ... it is good. I love eggplant and can never seem to get my fill. Enjoy! BTW ... each post you create is a work of art ... so much involved in time, knowledge, art ... you are truly amazing!

Thank you, dear Lindalou. Hey, have fun on your trip ... wishing you awesome Michigan fall weather :)

Kala said...

Gorgeous texture work in the first image Joey.

And I see you've posted another delicious-sounding recipe!

tina said...

My friend just gave me a bag full of Japanese eggplant and this salad sounds perfect. I must go get some goat cheese and I think we'll be set for dinner. Yum!

The fall colors are beautiful!

joey said...

Thanks Kala ... fun stuff!

Enjoy Tina ... it's delicious! Thank you.

Victoria (Sweden) said...

Very nice photos!

Karen said...

New recipes to savor and gorgeous new mosaics, too! Love the barn in the middle of all the leaves. Beautiful!

Commonweeder said...

what a delicious post! I'm heading off to the kitchen right now. And I do love that mosaic.

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Leaves are the best! WHich reminds me, I have to make a curbside shopping run...

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Joey, thanks for stopping by. Yes, those long summer nights are the best...especially sleeping in a hammock.

Love the citrus chicken recipe. Our lemons are in here in California so I'll be picking some Meyers and having a feast.

All joys,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Oh and so glad to have found your wonderful blog. I am your newest follower! I'll enjoy keeping tabs on you.

I journey to Michigan often to speak. Love the people and the land.

S

Beth at PlantPostings said...

The back-lit autumn leaves look like stained-glass, don't they? The colors in your photos are so striking, and I always love your mosaics!

joey said...

How kind, Victoria. Thank you.

Thanks Karen. I see you are having a wonderful time. So happy for you and love your stunning photos.

Commonweeder, thank you. Enjoy :)

Indeed they are, Monica. I remember your last year leaf caper :)

Thank you, Sharon. I think I mentioned before how much your place reminds me of our cottage UP NORTH (lots of pics here). How lucky ... Meyer lemons are a real treat ... luv them! Thank you for following and your lovely comments. Where do you visit in Michigan? If ever near, would love to meet.

Thanks PP ... you are always so kind. I had great fun creating the post. Autumn Joy!

RURAL said...

Joey, you see such beauty in everyday things...

What gorgeous shots.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

joey said...

As do you, dear Jen. Thank you.

Rose said...

Joey, the department of tourism should pay you a stipend--your photos are the best advertisement for the beauty of Michigan in the fall! The eggplant salad sounds interesting and definitely healthier than my usual battered and fried eggplant.

Anonymous said...

Autumn is especially beautiful from your camera Joey! I'm sure you've been enjoying it at Hubbard Lake.

joey said...

And that would be me, Rose ... I love Michigan. Payment enough just to live here and appreciate. But thank you, dear friend.

Aw, yes Robin and on the way again to the lake on Friday. It's bee almost 3 weeks ... too long :) Thank you and do hope your November is awesome.