Sunday, January 15, 2012

'THE POWER OF LOVE' ~ PEACE LILY (Spathiphyllum wallisii)

"We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace."

~ William Ewart Gladstone


PEACE LILY
(Spathiphyllum wallisii)


Common name Peace lily
Botanical name Spathiphyllum species; most commonly Spathiphyllum wallisii
Other common names Madonna lily
Family Araceae
General description An evergreen perennial herb, often grown as an ornamental, also very popular as a container plant.
Flowers The flowers are fleshy white to cream sheath or bract, called a spathe, surrounding a spike of fragrant, closely packed minute flowers.
Leaves The leaves are bright green, lance shaped, shiny, up to 30cm long and clustered at the base of the plant.
Fruit/Berries The fruit are inconspicuous white berries.
Other The sap is clear.
Symptoms This plant, if eaten, can produce a tingling or burning sensation, followed by swelling of the lips, mouth and tongue. Contact dermatitis may also occur in sensitive individuals.
Toxicity category 2, 3
Warning Seek urgent medical attention if lips or tongue become swollen or if there is difficulty breathing or swallowing.




"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."

~ Mother Teresa

13 comments:

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Wow never knew it was toxic. It wont stop me from growing it but its nice to know

imac said...

Wonderful post my friend - Right from the heart - why dont we learn?

Great work of Art too.

Beth at PlantPostings said...

So true, Joey. Thanks for sharing the wisdom, the photo, and the info about the Peace Lily.

Rick said...

Great quotes, joey ! And a great shot of this lily as well. And I'll try not to get any near my lips after reading your info !

Have a great week.

Gardens at Waters East said...

Joey, Toxic or not, love the plant and have had one in the house for years. Nice info and posting. Jack

Rose said...

I love the first quote--such wise words! I hope winter is treating you well, Joey.

Kala said...

Beautiful presentation of the lily. I did not know it was toxic, so thank you for the information Joey!

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

This plant is beautiful, but it's not longer allowed in my house after the cat tried nibbling on it! Definitely one for pet-owners to be wary of, but I can appreciate it from afar :)

lindalou said...

Lovely words. One's we should all learn from. Stay warm today. I wonder how much snow we will really get today.

Kala said...

That's a beautiful blossom. I didn't know it was toxic though!

What Karen Sees said...

I've finally found a few minutes to come and visit. As always I love your photography, quotes and recipes. I just love your blog!!!

Marysol said...

How very beautiful—the flower and the quote!

You know, Joey, the Peace Lily is the only flower that has refused to fall victim, under my care.
So I love them, not only for their beauty and elegance, but also for their perseverance.

Nutty Gnome said...

Beautiful words Joey!
I love the Peace Lily and have lots of them around the house. A friend gave me a little plant years ago and I've taken so many babies from it - and given what seems like zillions of them away, but kept a few for myself...but I'm getting over-run with them now! :P