- Bring a pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add noodles, lower heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until noodles are just tender, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to colander and run under cold water to cool slightly. Drain well.
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice, sugar, soy sauce and fish sauce; set aside. In a medium bowl, toss shrimp with 1 generous Tbsp. of the oil, coriander, freshly ground pepper and pinch of coarse salt.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. of oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Add peppers and shallots, sprinkle with pinch of salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until it turns pink and almost cooked though, about 2 minutes. Add lime juice mixture and cook, stirring, until shrimp is cooked through, about 1 minute more.
- Add noodles and half of the cilantro; toss until noodles heat through and pick up the sauce, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve topped with remaining cilantro and lime wedges on the side for squeezing. (3-4 servings)
Monday, May 21, 2012
"Between two worlds life hovers like a star, twist night and morn, upon the horizon's verge."
~ Lord Byron
MAY GARDENS OF OVERHILL
From morning to night, ever-changing perennial gardens
(Bearded Iris, Wildflowers, Hosta, Rhododendron, Azalea, Ferns)
RICE NOODLES with SHRIMP AND CILANTRO
This yummy colorful Pad Thai variation skips bean sprouts, eggs, and peanuts in favor of fresh red pepper and cilantro ... a favorite 'simple supper' at both home & cottage (slightly adapted from Fine Cooking)
8 oz. 1/4 in. wide dried rice noodles (pad thai)
2-3 limes (1 juiced and 1 sliced in wedges)
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. fish sauce
1 lb. peeled and deveined large shrimp
3 generous Tbsp. peanut oil
1 tsp. ground coriander
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cored, seeded, and finely diced red pepper
1 cored, seeded, and finely diced orange or yellow pepper
1 seeded and finely diced large jalapeno
1-2 finely diced large shallots
1/4 heaping cup fresh cilantro
WEEKEND 'ROCK GARDEN' PROJECT
Blessed to share time between 'Two Different Worlds' ... thankful for the beauty of each.