- Peel avocado and remove pit. Mash in bowl with a fork and add 2 tsp. lime juice. Blend in tomato, onion, chili, and garlic. Add salt to taste. Let guacamole stand, covered, while preparing nasturtiums and jicama.
- Rinse nasturtiums careful and pat dr. Peel jicama and slice about 1/4-inch thick. Leaving rounded edges, cut slices into 2 x 2-inch pieces or large enough to accommodate nasturtium filled with guacamole. Squeeze a little lime juice over jicama slices.
- At this point, can be kept a few hours in refrigerator. To assemble, hold nasturtiums at base and using teaspoon, fill carefully with guacamole. Set filled nasturtium on slice of jicama and arrange on serving platter. Can be kept very briefly in refrigerator or served immediately. (About 20 appetizers)
GRILLED BASIL STUFFED RAINBOW TROUT
over CARAMELIZED ONIONS
"A man taking basil from a woman will love her always."
Sir Thomas More
4 large boned or boneless trout
1 pound thinly sliced red onions
4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Lawry's Seasoned Pepper
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
8 large sweet basil leaves
1 Tbsp. chopped chives
4 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter
sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat grill.
- Heat olive oil in large pan. Add onions, pinch of sugar and saute until golden, about 20 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and cooked until reduced, about 2 minutes. Season with Lawry's Seasoned pepper, salt & cracked pepper.
- Brush trout inside and out with melted butter. Season with salt & pepper. Place 2 basil leaves and chopped chives inside each fish cavity.
- Grill trout over hot coats until browned, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve over bed of caramelized onions.
~ Recipe adapted from Good Enough to EAT (Growing and Cooking Edible Flowers)
6 Nasturtium flowers, petals only
6 young nasturtium leaves
2 Tbsp. finely diced red onions
4 healthy handfuls assorted greens
5 whole nasturtium flowers
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 crushed cove garlic
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Mix nasturtium petals, leaves, onion and greens in serving bowl.
- Whisk dressing ingredients thoroughly together.
- Pour over salad and toss. Garnish with whole nasturtium flower.