"In summer, the song sings itself. "
~William Carlos Williams
PEPPERED ROAST BEEF SANDWICH
with DILL HORSERADISH SAUCE
~ Travels well and always a hit ... adapted from The Totally Picnic Cookbook
3 lb. tied roast beef
1 Tbsp. cracked freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. coarse salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. Hungarian paprika
2 Tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Pat roast dry.
- Combine pepper, salt, garlic powder mustard seeds, and paprika. Press mixture over roast.
- Melt butter in roasting pan in hot oven. Add beef, rolling to coat evenly and return to oven. Roast 45 minutes for rare, up to 1 hour for well-done. Set aside to cool. Thinly slice. Serve on good rolls with Dill Horseradish Sauce (Combine 1/2 cup fresh grated horseradish, 1/2 sour cream, 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise, pinch coarse salt and 1 tsp. dill weed).
MITCH'S GREEK SALAD
~ Those living near remember this classic salad since the 50s from Mitch's Tavern on Cass Lake ... thanks for the memories Tony (Detroit Free Press -Jan 8, 1997)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
5 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. dried oregano or 1 Tbsp. fresh
1 tsp. dried basil or 1 Tbsp. fresh
1 tsp. dried tarragon or 1 Tbsp. fresh
1 clove minced garlic
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup good-quality olive oil
16 cups mixed greens (iceberg, leaf & romaine lettuces), washed, patted dry, torn into bite-size pieces
12 Greek olives
12 beet slices
1 small to medium thinly sliced red onion
12 cucumber slices
2 cored tomatoes cut in wedges
3/4 cup (about 4 oz.) chunks or crumbled feta cheese in brine (or more to taste)
- To prepare vinaigrette: In food processor or blender, place lemon juice, cider, oregano, basil, tarragon, garlic and Dijon mustard. Process for 10-15 seconds. Slowly add olive oil in a steady stream. Process another 20-30 seconds until all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
- To assemble salad: In large salad bowl, place mixed greens. Add vinaigrette and toss gently to coat. Top salad with olives, beet slices, red onion, cucumber and tomatoes. Sprinkle with chunks or crumbled feta cheese and serve.
CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE
~ Treasured reto-recipe from Detroit's Bob Talbert ...
1 1/2 cups butter
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups sugar
3 cups AP flour
1 cup milk (buttermilk)
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar. (Food processor works great). Add eggs on at a time. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Beat after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Bake in greased tube pan for 90 minutes.