Garden Clock and Daffodil
LEMON COCONUT CAKE
~ Outstanding triple-layered treat from Oct 2007 Southern Living
1 cup soft butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, separated
3 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp.baking powder
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
mint or rosemary springs for garnish
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, 1 at at time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour and baking powder;add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold 1/3 of egg whites just until blended. Spoon batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350º for 18-20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. cool in pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Lemon Filling between layers. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle top and sides wit coconut. Garnish with mint or rosemary sprigs.
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup boiling water
4 lightly beaten egg yolks
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. butter
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan;whisk in 1 cup boiling water. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until sugar and cornstarch dissolve (abut 2 minutes). gradually whisk about 1/4 of hot sugar mixture into egg yolks; add to remaining hot sugar mixture in pan, whisking constantly. Whisk in lemon rind and juice.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened (about 2-3 minutes). Remove from heat. Whisk in butter; let cool completely, stirring occasionally. (1 2/3 cups)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1/2 cup softened butter
1 (8-oz.) package softened cream cheese
1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract.
Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended; stir in vanilla. (3 cups)