AUTUMN VEGETABLE SOUP
~ Delicious, healthy, heartwarming soup, loaded with gorgeous autumn veggies. Slightly adapted from Ellie Krieger at Fine Cooking
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 medium diced carrots
1 medium diced large yellow onion
2 minced garlic cloves
2 cups (1/2 in. cubed) peeled butternut squash
1 tsp. Lawry's seasoned pepper
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
pinch cayenne pepper or more to taste
1 quart organic chicken stock/broth
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or more to taste
2 cups coarsely chopped kale
1 cup chickpeas
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add squash, seasoned pepper, salt & pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Add stock/broth, tomatoes with juice, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add kale and chickpeas and cook uncovered until squash is tender and kale has wilted, about 10 minutes more. Season to taste and serve with crusty Herbed Cheese Bread. (4 servings ... easy doubled for large stockpot). Note: If not serving cheese bread, delicious topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
HERBED CHEESE BREAD
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1-2 minced garlic cloves
1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil (1 1/2 tsp. dried)
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano ( 1/4 tsp. dried)
1/4 tsp. fresh chopped marjoram (generous pinch dried)
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 large loaf, split in half lengthwise, French or Italian bread
3 oz. shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine butter, garlic, herbs, and pepper in small saucepan and heat until butter is melted. Pour over cut sides of bread and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Wrap in foil and heat in 375-degree oven about 20 minutes or until bread is hot and crusty. Slice diagonally and serve. (6-8 servings)
Dwarf Fothergilla 'Witchalder' (Fothergilla gardenii), pansies, Norway Maple leaves, squash