Saturday, April 30, 2011

'APRIL LOVE' ~ LAMB CHOPS with LEMON & HERBS / ROASTED CAULIFLOWER

"April is a promise that May is bound to keep."

~ Hal Borland





LAMB CHOPS with LEMON & HERBS
(Spring lamb calls as does the grill ... a delightful marriage of flavors - adapted from BON APPETIT April 2011)

3 minced large shallots
6 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
6 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano (3 tsp. dried is fine since fresh is often strong)
6 minced cloves of fresh garlic
(here I omit 1 Tbsp. of sugar plus 1 Tbsp. salt
and add freshly ground black pepper to taste plus a hint of coarse salt )
12 lamb rib chops (from 2 1 1/4 - 1/2 lbs. french cut racks of lamb
6 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 hefty Tbsp. grated lemon peel (zest)
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
fresh mint sprigs for garnish

  • Combine shallots, mint, oregano, garlic, salt & pepper.
  • On a large baking sheet, press rounded mixture onto the top of each lamb chop. Turn over and press remaining mixture. Cover chops and refrigerate overnight.
  • Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, and peel until blended. Season gently with salt & pepper. Spoon over top. Turn and spoon remaining over other side. Let stand at room temp for 1 hour.
  • Grill over med-high grill about 3 minutes/side. Let rest before serving. (4 servings)
________

ROASTED CAULIFLOWER

1 head of cauliflower flowerets (broccoli is awesome too as is asparagus)
3 minced garlic cloves
juice and zest of 1 lemon
extra-virgin olive oil
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

  • Preheat oven to 400ยบ. (Not necessary but can spray roasting sheet with non-stick spray.)
  • Toss cauliflower with garlic, zest, lemon juice, olive oil and salt & pepper. Plop on prepared pan and roast for 30-40 minutes, turning half way through. Fork will piece through when done.
  • If desired, top with freshly grated Parmesan, a mellow flavor/marriage with all the above fresh herbs. (4 servings)



"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt."

~ Margaret Atwood

14 comments:

lindalou said...

Your photos give such hope that Spring will...maybe stick around and flowers will bloom.

The lamb chops sound amazing and I do have my grill all ready to go. As for roasted veggies...they are the best. I love roasted asparagus. I've also done broccoli, beets and carrots. I'll have to give cauliflower a try. It's one of the veggies I haven't tried that way.

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

I think you should write a cookbook and photograph it. You're very good my friend. Love my lamb chops. Had some the other day.~~Dee

imac said...

Love Lamb Chops, and what wonderful colour in your brill photos.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Lamb? Roasted vegetables? What time is dinner!? I love cauliflower, sadly Mr. CV does not, so I rarely make it any more :( I know he'll lamb though, and with mint and lemon, it sounds divine!

Diana LaMarre said...

mmmmmm....roasted cauliflower. YUM!

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Joey,

I am afraid I am the only one in my family who likes lamb chops, I grew up on them. The roasted cauliflour everyone would eat, sounds delicious.

Eileen

Nature Rambles said...

Again, gorgeous shots of your garden with quotes that I find myself nodding to!:) And the recipes...worth trying out. Love your version of the cauliflower roast!

Have a great Sunday, Joey!

joey said...

Thanks Lindalou. You will love the cauliflower! After the morning rain, today should be lovely. Happy May :)

Thank you, dear Dee. A dream come true! Happy May:)

Thanks imac. Enjoy your holiday!

Enjoy May, Clare. Prepare the cauliflower for yourself (so yummy you can eat it all and bet Mr CV might beg for a taste ... and be pleasantly surprised :)

Good stuff, Zoey!

Happy May, Eileen. The most beautiful time of the year for me :)

Love my garden this time of year, Nature. Each day brings new joy. Thank you and enjoy the cauliflower!

Kala said...

Love the photos, love the quote, and love this recipe Joey!

donna said...

I can't get enough of roasted veggies. Thanks for another way to do them.

Regarding Margaret Atwood's quote...sometimes I smell like dirt BEFORE the end of the day:)
Love the quote, first time I've heard.

Happy Monday to you, Miss Joey.

donna

joey said...

Love you comment, dear Kala! Thank you.

Good stuff, Donna. In spring, yes, dirt is me!

Anonymous said...

I love lamb and this is definitely a eecpit for this weekend! sounds delicious.
And I love the quote too!
ronelle

joey said...

Hello, dear Ronelle! Enjoy :)

Carol said...

Yummy Joey! I am mostly a vegetarian but confess to enjoying seasonal lamb that is locally raised . . . humanely . . . running and leaping freely. Ouch! It hurts to visualize the darlings. Lovely garden and blooms.