"If a June night could talk, it would probably boast it invented romance."
~ Bern Williams
Perfect evening for romantic supper ...
'Remains of the Day'
(Hubbard Lake, MI)
HONEY LIME & SRIRACHA CHICKEN SKEWERS
~ Perfect 'Simple One Plate Supper' for a sharing lovely evening with friends.
(from Once Upon a Chef - http://www.onceuponachef.com)
3 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup plus 2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I used extra-virgin olive oil)
1 tsp. lime zest, from one lime
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, from 2 limes
4 peeled and chopped garlic cloves
1 1/2 square inch piece roughly chopped fresh ginger
1 1/2 Tbsp. Sriracha Sauce
1 1/3 tsp. salt
2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken (thighs) breasts, trimmed and cut into 2-inch chunks
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro, plus more for garnishing platter
Limes, sliced into wedges for garnishing (optional)
Note: We also added fresh mushrooms, onion wedges, and tomato wedges to the skewers)
- In blender, combine soy sauce, honey, oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, ginger, Sriracha and salt. Blend until completely smooth. Pour 1/2 cup of marriage into small bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve (this will be your sauce).
- Combine chicken and remain marinade in large Ziplock bag and seal tightly. Place in bowl (in case of leakage) and marinate in refrigerator for at least 6 hours for overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and thread onto skewers, folding the pieces in half if long and thin.
- Be sure grill is clean, then preheat to medium high heat. To grease grill, lightly dip wad of paper towels in vegetable oil and, using tongs, carefully rub over grates several times until glossy and coated. Grill chicken kabobs, covered, until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally, for 10 - 15 minutes. (Keep an eye on it ... if they are browning too quickly turn heat down.
- Transfer skewers to platter. Warm up reserved marinade in microwave (or on stove) and either drizzle over top or pass alongside. Scatter chopped cilantro over top and garnish platter with lime wedges and cilantro springs. (serves 4-6)
(Served with sautéd Rice Pilaf)