MORE LIKE MARCH!
Fifty and fabulous ...
GARDENER'S TIP ~
If you don't own a Garden Diary, do yourself a favor and purchase one. Recording triumphs and failures not only leads to more success but also makes for great winter reading.
~ Pussy Willow
CREAMY CAULIFLOWER SOUP
~ rich Gouda cheese adds to the creamy consistency
1/2 lb. diced bacon strips
1/2 stick unsalted plus 3 Tbsp. bacon grease
1 large chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
1 large cauliflower broken into florets
6 medium chopped carrots
4 medium chopped potatoes
2 stalks of celery plus tender leaves
1 small bunch fresh parsley
8 cups organic chicken broth
salt & white pepper to taste
1 tsp. Hungarian paprika
8 oz. shredded Gouda cheese
additional shredded Gouda for garnish
- Fry bacon in large stockpot until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and drain pot leaving 3 Tbsp. bacon grease. Add butter and melt.
- Saute onion and garlic until onion is wilted. Carefully add chicken stock and vegetables. Season with salt & white pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree in small batches until creamy consistency. Return to pot and bring to boil. Lower heat and add cheese and paprika. Do not let boil.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with additional shredded Gouda, crisp bacon & chopped chives. Serve with warm crusty bread or Caraway White Cheddar Cheese Muffins.
CARAWAY WHITE CHEDDAR MUFFINS
~ the caraway flavor compliments the Gouda cheese in the soup
2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. caraway seeds (perhaps on hand if you made Irish Soda Bread)
1 cup milk
2 large organic eggs
2 Tbsp. oil
8 oz. shredded white cheddar
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Add caraway seeds.
- Whisk together milk, eggs & oil.
- Combine to dry ingredients but do not over mix.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes in 400-degree oven until golden. (1 dozen)