~ Early spring
daffodils, pussy willow, English daisy
and 'kissing clouds' (square 1)
The sun was warm but the wind was chill.
You know how it is with an April day,
When the sun is out and the wind is still,
You're one month on in the middle of May.
But if you so much as dare to speak,
A cloud comes over the sunlit arch,
A wind comes off a frozen peak,
And you're two months back in the middle of March.
~ Robert Lee Frost (Two Tramps in Mud Time)
~ Heralding daffodil and sky
~ Pussy willow and sky
~ Coconut ... the essence of spring and a perfect 'Happy Ending'
to a beautiful day (Cooking Light)
4 large organic egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 225-degrees.
- Cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and secure with masking tape.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in large clean bowl. Beat with mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high and gradually add granulated sugar and then powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in 3/4 cup coconut.
- Drop 36 mounds onto prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle 14 cup coconut evenly over meringues.
- Bake at 225-degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Turn oven off and cool meringues in closed oven 2 hours or until dry. Carefully remove meringues from paper. (Yield: 3 dozen)