"Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. "
~ Autumn joy
CHICKEN PECAN QUICHE
~ Delicious blend of flavors, perfect for an autumn brunch
(adapted from Jan. 1999 Southern Living)
1 cup flour
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/4 tsp. Hungarian paprika
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup organic chicken broth
1/4 cup good mayonnaise
3 large lightly beaten organic eggs
2 - 2 1/2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
1/2 - 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup minced onion
3 drops Tabasco sauce
1/4-1/2 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Combine flour, cheese, pecans, salt, and paprika. Add oil and stir well. Press mixture firmly in bottom and up sides of 9-inch deep dish quiche or pie plate. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool completely.
- Combine sour cream, chicken broth, mayonnaise, and eggs. Stir in chicken, cheese, onion, and Tabasco. Pour chicken mixture over prepared crust. Arrange pecan halves over chicken mixture. Bake at 350-degrees for 55 minutes or until set. Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving. (8 servings)
SPINACH, BASIL and PLUM SALAD
~ Memorable salad from June 2007 Food & Wine
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. grated orange juice
1 tsp. grated lime zest
coarse sea salt (preferabley red)
freshly ground black pepper
2 5-oz. bags baby spinach
2 cups torn fresh basil leaves
2 halved, pitted and thinly sliced black or red plums
- In small bowl whisk olive oil with lemon & orange juices, vinegar, and orange and lime zest. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In large bowl, toss spinach, basil and plums. Add dressing and toss well. Sprinkle with sea salt & black pepper and serve immediately.