"October's poplars are flaming torches lighting the way to winter. "
WILD MUSHROOM SOUP with ASIAGO TOASTS
~ A sipping soup that tastes of autumn
(adapted from Food & Wine 2007)
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 lb. thinly sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 chopped red onion
2 minced shallots
1 1/2 lbs. trimmed mixed wild mushrooms
2 Tbsp. Cognac
2 1/2 quarts organic chicken stock
10 sprigs chopped fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
3/4 cup heavy cream
coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 cup (4 oz.) freshly grated Asiago cheese
1/4 cup cream cheese
1 large egg yolk
1 (1/4 inch sliced) toasted baguette
1/4 cup snipped chives
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in large saucepan. Ad mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally until golden, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in saucepan. Ad onion and shallots and cook until softened. Add wild mushrooms and cook, stirring until tender, about 20 minutes. Add Cognac and cook until evaporated. Stir in stock, and snipped thyme, bay leaves and cooked baby bella mushrooms. Bring to s simmer and reduce heat , cooking on moderately low for 45 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- Working in small batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to saucepan and stir in cream. Season with salt & pepper.
- Blend Asiago cheese, cream cheese and egg yolk in small blender until creamy. Spread mixture on baguette toasts and arrange on baking sheet.
- Preheat broiler and broil toasts for about 2 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Ladle soup into shallow bowls and float Asiago toasts on top. Garnish with chives and serve. (10 servings)