- Preheat oven to 425-degrees. Butter a 2-quart souffle dish and coat lightly with sugar.
- Melt butter in heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk and 1/2 cup cream. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add egg yolks, one at at time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in brown sugar, breaking up lumps, and continue whisking until mixture is very smooth.
- Stir in ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, and then the crystallized ginger.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold gently into the souffle base. Pour into prepared dish.
- Bake until puffed and lightly golden, 35-40 minutes. Serve immediately with Warm Caramel Sauce and dollops of whipped cream. (For lighter version, simply dust with powdered sugar).
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
4 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
Mix caramel ingredients in 2-quart saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches soft-ball stage (230-234 degrees). Remove from heat and serve warm swirled over gingerbread souffle. (Extra warm sauce great on ice cream!)