"I will honour Christmas in my heart,
and try to keep it all the year."
~ Charles Dickens
(From 'A Christmas Carol')
Cacto de Navidad
ORANGE CHEESECAKE with RASPBERRY POMEGRANATE SAUCE
~ Perfect for holiday entertaining loosely adapted
from clipped Bon Appetit (October 2006)
1 3/4 cups vanilla wafer or shortbread crumbs
1 1/4 cups finely chopped walnuts
6 Tbsp. sugar
1 stick unsalted melted butter
5 (8-oz) packages room temperature Philadelphia cream cheese
1 2/3 cups sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. grated orange zest
2 tsp. orange extract
5 large organic eggs
2 large egg yolks
4 cups pomegranate juice
2 (12-oz) packages fresh-frozen raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
Mint leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 500-degrees. Butter bottom and sides of 9-inch springform pan; wrap foil around outside.
- Crust: Combine crumbs and walnuts. Add melted butter and blend until moist. Press on bottom and 2-inches up side of springform pan.
- Filling: Blend cream cheese, sugar, flour, orange zest, and extract in large bowl. Add eggs and yolks, one at a time. Pour in crust. Bake until slightly puffed, about 12 minutes. Reduce oven to 200-degrees and continue baking until gently set in center (edges may be cracked), about 1 hour. Cool 5 minutes on rack, run knife around edges and cool completely; cover and refrigerate. (Can make 2 days ahead).
- Sauce: Place pomegranate juice in large saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced to 1 cup, about 35 minutes. Mix in frozen raspberries and sugar. Simmer until reduced to 3 cups, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Mix in honey; bring to simmer. Cool slightly, cover and chill until cold. (Can make ahead).
- Presentation: Release sides of pan. Cut cheesecake into wedges and spoon sauce over. Garnish with mint leaves.