"And finally Winter, with its bitin', whinin' wind,
and all the land will be mantled with snow."
~ Roy Bean
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Butterfly the shrimp, leaving the tail on. Place shrimp in a mixing bowl and gently toss with the olive oil, wine, 2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature while making the butter and garlic mixture.
- In a small bowl, mash softened butter with garlic, shallots, parsley, rosemary, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. salt, and coarse pepper to taste. Combine well.
- Starting at outer edge of 14-inch oval gratin dish, arrange shrimp in a single layer, cut side down, with tails curling up and towards center of the dish. Pour remaining marinade over shrimp. Spread butter mixture evenly over shrimp. Sprinkle panko evenly over top and finish with additional chopped parsley.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until bubbly. Finish browning under broiler for 1 minute. Serve with lemon wedges. (6 servings)
- Pumpernickel Croutons: Preheat oven to 400º. Toss 2 cups (1/2-inch cubes) pumpernickel bread with 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle heavily with cracked pepper. Spread on baking sheet and bake 10-15 minutes, stirring often, until crisp. (Can make ahead)
- Caesar Vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients (but olive oil) in blender. Gradually add olive oil and process until creamy.
- Add bite-size pieces of crisp Romaine to large salad bowl. Toss gently with Caesar Vinaigrette to taste. Add Pumpernickel Croutons and toss again. Serve topped with grated Parmigiana Reggiano.