"There is a language 'little known',
Lovers claim it as their own.
Its symbols smile upon the land,
Wrought by nature's wondrous hand;
And in their silent beauty speak,
Of life and joy, to those who seek.
For Love Divine and sunny hours
In the language of the flowers."
~ The Language of Flowers
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease, flour, and line the bottom of two 8 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. wth the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with flour. Divide batter evenly between pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until cake tester comes out clean.
- Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- When cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon lemon syrup over the cakes. Allow cakes to cool completely.
- For glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with wire whisk until smooth. Pour over top of cakes and allow laze to drizzle down the sides. (2 8-inch loaves)