GRILLED PORTOBELLO BURGERS with PESTO, PROVOLONE & ROASTED PEPPERS
~ enjoy balmy 38º weather, fire up the grill and dream of June ...
4 stemmed large portobello mushrooms
8 slices sourdough or whole grain bread
(or 4 buns/rolls of choice)
extra-virgin olive oil
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup pesto
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
4 slices Provolone cheese
1 jar (well-drained) roasted red/yellow or just red peppers (Trader Joe's are great)
4 cups baby spinach leaves
- Heat grill. Brush both sides of mushrooms with olive oil. Season with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Rub one side of bread/roll with olive oil and grill until lightly toasted.
- Combine pesto and mayonnaise; spread on grilled side of bread/bun.
- Brush both sides of mushrooms with olive oil and grill, rounded side up, 4 minutes. Turn over, cover, and grill about 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, adding Provolone the last minute or so until it melts.
- Place cheesy mushroom on grilled bread/bun. Top with roasted peppers and baby spinach leaves. (4 servings)