CILANTRO SCAMPI with CHEDDAR BISCUITS
~ Simply delightful weeknight supper adapted from (CuisineAtHome.com)
For the scampi:
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. peeled and deveined large shrimp, dusted with flour
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or fresh parsley)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice and zest from limes
2 Tbsp. chopped chipotle chiles in adobo - these canned smoked jalapenos pack a punch so, if sensitive, use sparingly (or chopped jalapenos ... or chopped green chilies for a milder taste)
coarse salt to taste
4 lime wedges
sprigs of fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Deglaze with wine, scraping up any bits from bottom of pan. Simmer until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in butter until melted.
- Combine cilantro, lime juice, zest, and chiles in large bowl. Add shrimp to cilantro mixture and toss to coat; season with salt. When ready to serve spoon over the biscuits.
- Garnish each serving with a lime wedge and cilantro sprigs. (Serves 4)
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
6 Tbsp. (cold, cubed) unsalted butter
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
1 cup buttermilk
1 beaten egg
- Preheat oven to 450º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat lightly with nonstick spray.
- Mix dry ingredients together for the biscuits.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the size of peas; stir in cheese.
- Combine buttermilk and egg. Stir into flour mixture just until incorporated. Portion batter with an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measure onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until tops begin to brown. While biscuits bake, prepare scampi.