For the French, New Year Means Good Oysters
(and this was the tradition in my home growing up)
- Strain and reserve oyster liquor. Strain oyster liquor again to remove any sand or grit. Discard solids. Rinse oysters well under cold water.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter. Add celery and shallots and cook until slightly softened. Add flour and stir to make a roux. Reduce heat and cook mixture 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently until a bit brown looking.
- Add strained oyster liquor and any oyster juices in bowls. Slowly add and whisk in 1/2 and 1/2. Add Tabasco and heat soup to steamy (not boil) for 15 minutes.
- Add oysters (if some too large, chop into 'slurping'-size consistency) and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until edges begin to curl. (Don't overcook tender oysters).
- Add 1/2 of chopped parsley, adjust seasonings, and use remaining for garnish (Serves 8)