- Pre-heat oven to 400º.
- Slice squash in half lengthwise and scoop our seeds. (For easy cutting, pierce squash a few times with knife - so it doesn't burst - and stick squash in microwave to soften up a tad. Cook 3-5 minutes until knife slides through. Smaller squash need about 3 minutes and larger more.
- Brush inside of squash with olive and season with salt & pepper. Place upside down on baking sheet and roast squash 30-45 minutes or longer (depending on size) until tender.
- While squash roasts, heat olive oil in skillet and sauté garlic on medium-high until fragrant.
- Add spinach and stir until wilted. Add cream, cream cheese and parmesan cheese and stir well. Season with salt & pepper and remove from heat.
- Once squash is done, allow to cool until easily handled and use a fork to separate and fluff the strands.
- Pour spinach sauce over each squash and stir to mix. Top with mozzarella (if desired) and additional parmesan.
- Can bake at 350º for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly but, finding it perfect the way it is, I never have. Can also stick under broiler to warm up!
Wednesday, October 31, 2018
"October is Nature's funeral month. Nature glories in death more than in life. The month of departure is more beautiful than the month of coming—October than May. Every green thing loves to die in bright colors."
~Henry Ward Beecher (1813–1887)
( October Glory ~ Hubbard Lake, MI)
PARMESAN GARLIC SPINACH SPAGHETTI SQUASH
~ Slightly adapted from Peas And Crayons
1 Medium spaghetti squash
2 1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. organic olive oil (or avocado oil)
5 - 8 oz. chopped fresh spinach
1/2 cup cream or sour cream
1 Tbsp. cream cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
grated or sliced mozzarella for topping to taste (although have never done this using only Parmesan)
Sunday, October 28, 2018
GARLIC GINGER SHRIMP on NEST OF SOBA NOODLES
~ An ever pleasing favorite compliments of Baker by Nature
12 oz. soba noodles
1/4 cup sesame oil
2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 large thinly sliced shallot (I like more)
2 tsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger
8 coarsely chopped garlic cloves
1 lb. large shelled and deveined shrimp
zest and juice of one large lime
coarse salt to taste
3 finely chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
Lime wedges for garnish
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Add soba noodles and cook, stirring occasionally until tender; 4 minutes (or recommended on package). Drain and risen noodles udders cold water. Transfer noodles to a large serving bowl.
- In medium bow, combine 2 Tbsp. of the sesame oil with the soy sauce. Add sauce to noodles and toss.
- In skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. of oil. Add shallots and ginger and cook over medium heat, stirring until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer shallots and ginger with slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Add garlic to the skillet and cook over very low heat until golden; 2 minutes. Transfer garlic to same paper towel lined plate.
- In bow, combine lime zest and juice with remaining oil; stir in the shrimp and season with salt. Add shrimp to skilled and cook on each side for about 1 minute; just until pink.
- Sprinkle noodles with scallions, cilantro, crushed red pepper, and shrimp. Top with ginger friend shallots. Serve at once or chill until needed.