Gardener's Note: This brilliant 'old-fashioned' bleeding heart POPS in a shade garden . Surprisingly hearty with long lasting blooms, its sunny leaves will glow throughout spring and summer.
GINGER CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
~ Heart healthy meal everyone will enjoy
3 (4-oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
3 cloves crushed fresh garlic
3 Tbsp. Tamari or organic soy sauce
3 Tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. sesame oil (spicy or regular)
1-2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. cornstarch
4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil or peanut oil
1 1/2 cups thin matchstick sliced carrots
2 cups julienne sliced red, yellow or orange pepper
1 cup matchstick sliced snow peas
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
3/4 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
Bibb lettuce leaves for 6 servings
- Cut chicken into thin strips.
- Combine soy sauce, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and cornstarch. Pour over chicken while prepping vegetables.
- Heat wok or large skillet. Pour in oil and heat. Remove chicken from marinade and carefully add to pan. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Pour marinade over chicken. Add carrots, peppers, sprouts, snow peas, and onions. Cook 3 minutes or until sauce slightly thickens, stirring often. Add almonds.
- Spoon 1/4-1/2 cup chicken mixture into lettuce leaf and roll up.
~ Bleeding hearts