Saturday, October 27, 2007

"I THINK THAT I SHALL NEVER SEE ... A POEM AS LOVELY AS A TREE"

TREES
~ Sergeant Joyce Kilmer
165th Infantry (69th New York), A.E.F.
(Born December 6, 1886; killed in action near Ourcy, July 30, 1918)
_____
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A Tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.



~ Autumn joy

9 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Another absolutely beautiful collage! And I love that poem! How very true it is!

joey said...

Thank you, Kerri. The cherished poem has haunted me since childhood, fostering my great love for trees. Happy to hear it touched you also. I sense a kindred spirit visiting your site.

Mark said...

Beautiful poem and images to go with it, trees are very special, hug one today....

joey said...

Indeed trees are special, Mark.
Thanks for your kind comment. Your photography is most inspirational and one of my favorite photography haunts.

Ki said...

Your photo montage of fall trees are breathtaking. I never noticed before that pink was a color of fall. I'll have to look for pink tinged trees. We haven't had our first frost yet so except for a few trees like the sassafras and sumacs, relatively few have turned. I'm eagerly awaiting the fall colors so I can turn my camera from flowers to trees.

Do you have individual photos on a site like Flickr?

Catherine said...

Beautiful beautiful tree's and collage's of them!! And I LOVE that poem Joey!
Hope your weekend was good!
Cat

Anonymous said...

This was a poem I once had memorized as a
child, but had forgotten everything except the first and last lines. ( a plague of being in my 50's. Yikes!)
I was trying to
find this poem to show to our daughter, and thankfully, found it
on your website. Your photographs
are beautiful and capture the wonder
of trees! Thank you for sharing them!
Joanie

Unknown said...

When I was in 8th grade in school in Michigan we sang this poem to music. Don't know who wrote the music to it, would any one here know?

joey said...

Poem by Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918) Music written in 1922 by Oscar Rasbash ... Yes, I remember it too, Clarence. I think Perry Como sang it.