- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour to make smooth paste and heat gently, whisking constantly until roux begins to bubble. Remove from heat and add mustard, pinch of salt, and cayenne pepper. Slowly stir in milk. Over medium heat, cook stirring constantly until mixture bubbles and thickens. Add cream and taste for seasoning. Cover until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or grease baking sheet lightly.
- Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and dry mustard in a bowl.
- Dampen a towel, spread it out on counter and cover with waxed paper. Unfold thawed phyllo sheets and place on the waxed paper. Brush each sheet with melted butter (½ lb. per strudel) and sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Layer seafood evenly on phyllo and sprinkle with Swiss cheese and chopped egg. Dot with sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley, shallots, and chives and garlic and dot with white sauce.
- Fold long end of pastry toward center and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with some of the melted butter (can be frozen at this stage; defrost 30 minutes before baking).
- Bake 12 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with more melted butter. Slice diagonally with serrated knife into 1 1/2 pieces. Push slices together to reshape loaf. Add parsley to remaining butter and brush again. Repeat brushing 3 more times during baking, reserving a little butter to brush on just before serving. Bake 35-40 minutes longer, until crisp & golden brown.
- Remove strudel from the oven. Brush with remaining parsley butter. Cool 5-10 minutes. Transfer to serving platter. Dust with Parmesan cheese and minced parsley. (6-8 servings)
~ Ruby red, vivid green, and sunny kumquats - a feast for the eye and palate
2 halved pomegranates
1 1/2 bunches stemmed watercress
1 12 bunches trimmed arugula
1 1/2 bunches red leaf lettuce
8 oz. trimmed and halved snow peas
4 oz. toasted pine nuts or sunflower seeds
24 thinly sliced and seeded kumquats
- Submerge pomegranate halves in large bowl of water and remove seeds by breaking pomegranates apart. Skim white pulp from surface of water. Drain seeds and pat dry.
- Combine greens and snow peas in large salad bowl. Toss with Champagne vinaigrette.
- Divide among chilled plates. Sprinkle each with pomegranate seeds, kumquats, and toasted pine nuts or sunflower seeds. (8 servings)
6 Tbsp. Champagne vinegar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 clove minced garlic
coarse salt and cracked pepper to taste
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Mix vinegar, Dijon, garlic, salt & pepper. Gradually whisk in olive oil.