"They err who thinks Santa Claus comes down through the chimney;
he really enters through the heart."
~ Mrs. Paul M. Ell
~ Cranberries on flow blue
CRANBERRY CHEESECAKE with CRANBERRY ORANGE COMPOTE
~ One taste and you will know why this is Santa's favorite
(adapted from Bon Appetit October 1992)
1 pound fresh cranberries (4 2/3 cups)
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 pounds room temperature cream cheese
1 1/3 cups sugar
4 large organic eggs
1 1/3 cups shortbread cookie crumbs
(homemade or store bought like Lorna Doone)
3 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter
2 cups sour cream
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Cranberry Filling: Combine cranberries, sugar and fresh orange juice in heavy saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer until berries opp and mixture thickens, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Cheese Filling: Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until well blended. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Set aside.
- Crust: Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Lightly butter 9-inch springform pan with 2 3/4-inch sides. Place cookie crumbs in medium bowl. Add melted butter and blend until moist crumbs form. Press onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan.
- Pour cheese filling over crust in pan. Spoon 1 cup cranberry filling over cheese filling (reserve remaining cranberry filling for Cranberry Orange Compost). Using small sharp knife, swirl to form marble pattern. Bake until center of cheesecake is set, about 1 hour. Transfer cheesecake to rack and maintain oven temperature.
- Topping: Mix sour cream, sugar and vanilla in small bowl. Gently press down any raised edges of cheesecake. Spoon topping over cake. Bake 5 minutes. Transfer cheesecake to rack and cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (can be prepare 2 days ahead).
- Release pan sides. Transfer cheesecake to platter. Cut into wedges and serve passing Cranberry Orange Compote. (10-12 servings)
CRANBERRY ORANGE COMPOTE
~ Leftovers good on ice cream, pound cake or mixed in plain yogurt
1 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups cranberry filling reserved from Cranberry Cheesecake with Cranberry Orange Compote
2 tsp. minced orange peel (orange part only)
4 large oranges
Combine sugar and water in heavy saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves and liquid appears clear. Transfer to medium bowl and mix in 1 3/4 cups reserved cranberry filling and minced orange peel. Cut peel and white pith from oranges. Working over another bowl to catch juices, cut between membranes to release segments. Add segments to bowl with juices. Add orange segments and juices to compote and serve. (4 cups)