Saturday, May 24, 2008

CELEBRATE 'MEMORIAL DAY' ~ SUN-DRIED TOMATO BURGER SMOTHERED in CARAMELIZED ONIONS

"It is the Americans who have managed to crown minced beef as hamburger, and to send it round the world so that even the fussy French have taken to le boeuf hache, le hambourgaire."
~ Julia Child

~ Memorial Day Garden Medley
____________
SUN-DRIED TOMATO BURGER SMOTHERED in CARAMELIZED ONIONS
~ Always a family favorite
___________
3 lbs. ground beef (not extra-lean)
1 8.5 oz. (packed in oil) jar chopped & drained
sun-dried tomatoes (reserve oil)
1 grated onion
3 Tbsp. dried basil
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 Tbsp. freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
2 thinly sliced Vidalia onions
2 thinly sliced red onions
4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. sugar
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
8 toasted hamburger buns
  • Mix ground beef, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, grated onion, basil, cumin, reserved oil, salt & pepper in large bowl (handle gently but don't overmix). Form into 8 patties. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
  • While grill is heating, saute onions in olive oil until soft. Raise heat and add sugar.Saute until onions are deep brown, stirring often. Add balsamic vinegar, scraping bottom of pan. Reduce heat and cook additional 5 minutes. Season with cracked pepper.
  • Grill burgers until desired doneness. Place on bottom half on toasted bun. Smother with onions and top with other half bun. Serve with favorite condiment and slaw.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious. They must love you at your house. You're a great cook! Me, I cook once in awhile. But once the kids are grown, you don't cook as much.
Brenda

Amy said...

Ooh, great recipe, though in my case it would be a vegetarian burger in the bun :) I'm hoping to make my own sundried tomatoes, if I can just manage to actually harvest some Roma tomatoes this year!

Carol Soules said...

Hi Joey! I am back and sooo glad to see this wonderful recipe. I will have to try this one soon!!! I hope you'll stop by my blog now that I am back online!
Carol
terranovadesign.bogspot.com

joey said...

Brenda ... my children are also grown but live close and visit often (Home is where the heart is). My kitchen is always humming. This is MY favorite burger that we served honoring my sister (who adores burgers and has been living with us for the past year and a half following a horrific bout of illness) before heading for another stint in the hospital!

Amy, I do make sun-dried tomatoes during the late summer harvest although mostly rely on great store bought.

joey said...

Carol ... so glad to see you back in action!