"Give fools their gold, and knaves their power;
let fortune's bubbles rise and fall;
who sows a field, or trains a flower,
or plants a tree, is more than all."
~ John Greenleaf Whittier
GIFT OF GOLD
ROASTED VEGETABLE LASAGNA
~ Rich autumn flavors of roasted peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and caramelized onions blend for this old fall crowd-pleaser
4 red peppers
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach
extra-virgin olive oil as needed
1 eggplant (about 1 lb.) cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
4 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
coarse salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 large chopped onion
pinch of sugar
15 -oz. ricotta cheese
4 large organic eggs
3 1/2-4 cups good tomato sauce combined with 1 Tbsp. basil
18 cooked* lasagna noodles (1 lb.)
(*boil 5 minutes in salted water, drain, and cool under cold water)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
chopped fresh parsley
- Broil peppers directly on rack under broiler until blackened on all sides. Put in paper bag, roll up and let peppers cool. When cool, remove and discard skin and seeds. Cut peppers into 1-inch strips.
- Thaw spinach and drain well, pressing out all liquid and set aside.
- Reduce oven heat to 400 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil; spray with Pam or lightly brush with oil. Place eggplant slices on one pan and brush with olive oil. Place zucchini slices on the other. Sprinkle both with salt and pepper. Bake until tender, about 10 minutes for zucchini and 20 minutes for eggplant. Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat and saute chopped onions until wilted. Reduce heat to low, add pinch of sugar, and continue cooking about 10 minutes, stirring until caramelized and a nice rich brown. Set aside.
- Reduce oven heat to 350-degrees.
- Mix cooked spinach, ricotta cheese, and eggs until combined. Set aside.
- Cover bottom of large lasagna pan (12x16x2) with 1/3 cup of tomato sauce. Layer 6 noodles evenly over sauce. Spread 1/3 cup tomato sauce over noodles. Cover with 1/4 of spinach mixture followed by all the roasted peppers and eggplant. Press down lightly.
- Make another layer beginning with another 6 noodles, 1/3 cup tomato sauce, the rest of spinach mixture and all of the zucchini. Sprinkle with caramelized onions. Top with 1/3 cup tomato sauce.
- Make final layer with remaining noodles. Spread on balance of sauce and top with mozzarella cheese and finishing with Parmesan. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Bake until bubbly and browned, about 50 minutes. Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving. ( 8-10 servings)
- Note: To make ahead: Cool completely, cover with foil, and refrigerate (or freeze). Reheat, covered, in 350-degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until heated through (up to an hour or so if frozen).