"There is nothing in the world more beautiful than the forest clothed to its very hollows in snow. It is the still ecstasy of nature, wherin every spray, every blade of grass, every spire of reed, every intricacy of twig is clad with radiance."
~ William Sharp
WINTER WHITE CHILI
6 plump boneless chicken breast halves
(gently poach about 15 minutes in organic chicken stock)
2 lbs. dried navy beans or Great Northern beans
(sort, rinse and soak overnight)
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 large chopped onions
6 cloves chopped garlic
4 chopped celery ribs (including leaves)
1 chopped green bell pepper
3 (4.5 oz.) cans green chilies
4 quarts organic chicken broth
4 Tbsp. cumin
3 Tbsp. oregano
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
juice of 3 fresh limes
Topping: shredded Colby-Jack cheese, sour cream, good salsa and chopped fresh cilantro
- Saute onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil about 10 minutes. Stir in Chilies, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and cracked pepper and saute 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Drain beans and rinse well. Add to broth, reduce heat, and simmer until beans are tender, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours.
- Shred or cube chicken breasts and add to broth. Add cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Adjust seasonings.
- Serve topped with cheese, a dollop of sour cream, salsa, and chopped cilantro. Pass favorite chips.
WHITE CHOCOLATE & MACADAMIA NUT COOKIES
~ the Ho-Hum Housewife's favorite cookie
2 cups unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tsp. vanilla
4 extra-large organic eggs
4 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 lbs. good quality white chocolate
1/2 lb. coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar in large bowl. Add vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add eggs, beating until incorporated.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Break or cut chocolate into small chunks. Add to dough with macadamia nuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375º for 8-10 minutes.
"Go to the winter woods: listen there, look, watch, and 'the dead months' will give you a subtler secret than any you have yet found in the forest."
~ Fiona Macleod
(Where the Forest Murmurs)