Saturday, August 04, 2007

'LAZY, CRAZY, HAZY DAYS of SUMMER' BRUNCH ~ STRAWBERRY and CUCUMBER BISQUE / LEMONY TOSSED CHICKEN SALAD / 'NOT YOUR ORDINARY' BLUEBERRY MUFFINS


~ Geranium collage


_______________



STRAWBERRY and CUCUMBER BISQUE


~ Delightful and refreshing cold soup
*

Creme Fraiche:


1 cup heavy cream

1 cup sour cream


Whisk both creams in bowl and cover. Let stand in kitchen overnight until thickened. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.


1 quart hulled strawberries

3 cups unsweetened apple juice

1 large peeled and seeded English cucumber

3 Tbsp. Crème de Cassis (blackcurrant-flavored liqueur)

fresh mint dusted with powdered sugar



  • Combine strawberries, apple juice, and cucumber in saucepan. Cook 5 minutes to blend.
  • Transfer to blender and puree. Add 2 cups creme fraiche and Cassis. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate.
  • Serve in large stemmed glasses with powdered sugar dusted mint. (6 servings).


____________________


LEMONY TOSSED CHICKEN SALAD

~ Summer flavors blend for a light brunch.

*

juice and zest of 2 fresh lemons

3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 cup minced fresh mint

3 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley

2 minced garlic cloves

1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

4 shredded or diced cooked chicken breasts

8 seeded and diced plum tomatoes

1 diced orange pepper

1 diced yellow pepper

1 thinly sliced red pepper

2 pepped and cubed avocados

3/4 cup sliced Kalamata olives

6 oz. crumbled feta cheese

6 healthy handfuls mixed salad greens



  • Whisk juice and zest of lemons, olive oil, mint, parsley, garlic, and pepper.
  • Combine chicken, tomatoes, peppers, onion, avocado, and olives. Toss with dressing and refrigerate 30 minutes.
  • Arrange salad greens on chilled plates. Top with chilled chicken mixture. Garnish with feta cheese. (6 servings)

________________________


'NOT YOUR ORDINARY' BLUEBERRY MUFFINS


~ On the lighter side, these are always a family favorite from

PICNIC! Recipes and Menus for Outdoor Enjoyment

*
1 2/3 cups flour
1/3 cup wheat germ
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups MICHIGAN blueberries
(preferably small wild ones)
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter
  • Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
  • In large bowl, combine flower, wheat germ, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Add blueberries and stir to coat. Add buttermilk and butter. Stir until just mixed.
  • Spoon batter into greased muffin pans. Bake 18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans for 2 minutes.











3 comments:

Kylee Baumle said...

Ooooh! What gorgeous geraniums!

Let's see ... you must enjoy cooking. ;-) I don't enjoy it at all, but we do have to eat, so I'm forced to do it now and then. LOL.

Yes, I am a dental hygienist that worked for 27 years, then retired. I guess that's what you call it. I subbed in the office where I'd worked on a regular basis, then two years ago, my boss lured me back for half a day a week. I can manage that, can't I?

I miss the paycheck I used to get, but half a day gives me enough to support my gardening habit, which I now have time for!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

I always enjoy visiting your blog, wonderful photos and recipes are an added bonus! Beautiful

Anonymous said...

The blueberry muffins are wonderful. Only one problem ... I ate too many!