( February Flower of the Month)
MAC & CHEESE
~ Comfy 'retro'' food (though often NOT low fat) never goes out of style and a 'once in a while treat' especially tummy coating on chilly February days.
1 lb. ziti, penne (or favorite shaped pasta)
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 diced red pepper
1 diced yellow, orange or green pepper
4 cups milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter
6 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. Hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
8 oz. grated white Vermont cheddar
8 oz. grated medium Pinconning Cheese *
1/2 cup (or more) shaved Parmesan
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook at a rolling boil until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Drain well. Toss with 1 Tbsp. oil and set aside.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in skillet. Saute peppers until soft. Add to cooked pasta.
- Scald milk in saucepan. Set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and whisk over low heat (do not let burn). Slowly whisk scalded milk until thickened. Add paprika, salt & white pepper. Add to pasta and toss well to coat.
- Butter a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Combine both cheeses. Add to pasta, reserving 1 cup for top. Spread evenly in baking dish and top with remaining cheese, shaved Parmesan (you can never have enough cheese), and parsley.
- Bake 30 minutes until hot. Run under broiler to brown. (8 servings)
* Great source for Pinconning Cheese ~ William's Cheese Co.