( Indoor Garden 'stars' )
CARAMELIZED ONION PORK TENDERLOIN with CHERRY CHUTNEY
~ A 'winner dinner' celebrating National Cherry Month,
loosely adapted from COOKING LIGHT magazine.
2 (1 lb. or more) well-trimmed pork tenderloins
coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 thinly sliced onion
juice and zest of 1 lemon
6 Tbsp. dry red wine
2 crushed garlic cloves
Dried Cherry Chutney:
4 cups dried tart cherries (or dried cranberries)
1 cup sugar
2 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
1 cup diced Vidalia onions
1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. minced jalapeno pepper
2 Tsp. cilantro
1 tsp. cardamom
1 tsp. ground cumin
juice and zest of 1 fresh lemon
1 tsp. ground cloves
2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 cups thinly sliced onions (red or yellow)
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup dry red wine
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients for marinade and pour into zip-lock bag. Add tenderloins, seal and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Cherry Chutney: (make ahead): Combine all ingredients in large saucepan, bring to boil, reduce heat and cook uncovered until thick (about 1 hour), stirring occasionally. Discard cinnamon sticks. Place in airtight container and chill until ready to serve. (Leftovers delicious on cream cheese, brie, or log of goat cheese.
- To Serve: Remove meat from marinade and discard marinade. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Prepare Caramelized onions*. Place pork on hot grill, reduce heat to medium-high, close cover and grill 10 minutes. Turn and continue grilling for another 10 minutes ~ internal temperature of 160-degrees ~ slightly pink. (Or bake at 425-degrees for 20 minutes). Let rest before slicing 1/4-inch thick slices. Serve with Caramelized Onions and Cherry Chutney. (8 servings).
ROASTED GOAT CHEESE POTATOES
8 well scrubbed favorite potatoes, cut into small wedges
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 minced cloves garlic
chopped fresh rosemary
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
6-8 oz. crumbled goat cheese
additional freshly chopped rosemary
- Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and rosemary and toss with potatoes. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes or longer.
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees. Drain potatoes and spread on lightly oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Bake 45 minutes, turning occasionally, for 45 minutes or until browned.
- Place in bowl and toss with crumbled goat cheese. Sprinkle with fresh chopped rosemary.