Thursday, July 24, 2008

'SONG OF PRAISE' ( JULY GARDEN ) ~ SHRIMP & AVOCADO SALAD / LEMON PUDDING

"A garden really lives only insofar as it is an expression of faith,
the embodiment of a hope and a song of praise."
~ Welcome visitors while away
_________________
SHRIMP & AVOCADO SALAD
~ Summer delight ... buttery avocados balanced with the sharpness of endive (adapted from Gourmet (June 2002)
________
1 lb. peeled and deveined large shrimp
2 tsp. salt
3 or more Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 firm-ripe Hass avocados
1 lb. Belgian endive (4 heads), cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
  • Bring 2 quarts water, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice and 2 tsp. salt to boil. Poach shrimp at a bare simmer, uncovered, until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to a bowl of ice & cold water to stop cooking. Let shrimp chill for 2 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
  • Whisk together tarragon, mustard, pepper and remaining 2 Tbsp. lemon juice and zest. Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified.
  • Quarter avocados lengthwise, pit, peel and cut into bite-size pieces. Add shrimp, avocados, and endive. Toss with dressing. (2-4 light main course)

LEMON PUDDING

~ Tart & tangy (Traverse Magazine Feb. 08)

_____________

2 1/4 cups whole milk

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

4 large egg yolks

2 Tbsp. lightly packed lemon zest

pinch salt

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

3 Tbsp. room temperature unsalted butter

whipped cream

  • Off heat, whisk milk, sugar, brown sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan until smooth. Whisk in egg yolks, lemon zest and salt . Cook at medium heat for 9-12 minutes, whisking constantly until thickened and whisk leaves a defined trail in the pudding.
  • Remove pan from heat. Add lemon juice and butter and stir until incorporated. To remove zest, carefully pour pudding through sieve into large serving bowl or 4 individual dishes Let pudding cool to room temperature. Refrigerate covered loosely in plastic wrap until set and thoroughly chilled. Serve with whipped cream. (4 servings)


9 comments:

beckie said...

Joey, so glad to hear you are doing okay. Shrimp and avacado-2 of my favorite foods! Will try this one. Your hubby is doing a great job with the gardens. What is that wonderful lily at the end of your post. Wow!

Jane O' said...

I'm a shrimp fan, so this is really appealing to me. I also like avocados, mmmm, sounds good and refreshing.

Rose said...

Glad you're back, Joey! We've missed all your beautiful photography. You have so many lovely daylilies, and your garden looks lush and peaceful.

joey said...

It's been a whirlwind July, Beckie. Great to hear from you. Unfortunately I don't know the daylily's name but it has graced my garden for 25 years and one of my favorites.

I agree, Jane Marie. I could live on yummy salads and these are 2 great food combos, especially for summer.

Thanks Rose. Back for a couple days and off again for a long weekend at the lake to continue the family reunion. So much to tend that didn't get done but ...

Catherine said...

So good to see you back Joey~even if it is just for today! :) Looking at your July mosaic I see so many familar faces! Beautfiul photo's! And another lemon recipe I must try..the lemon pudding sounds so yummy! Hope you had a good summer break! And enjoy your up coming weekend!
It's been a rough couple of days..especially today~so if was very uplifting to see your beautiful post!:)
Missed you!!
Hug's
Cat

Anonymous said...

Joey, izzat yew?
You could be a halogram for all we know. But then, I don't know anyone as artsy with garden collages as you.

Btw, it's good to see you back. Now, I'll be the one going on vacation. No. Don't even try to talk me out of it ;-Þ Seriously, I've needed a vacation for quite some time. I'll miss you and your work.

joey said...

You've made my day, Cat! So good to hear from you. Today is Hubbard Lake beautiful ... I'll be thinking of you watching the sunset, hoping your evening is peaceful and lovely.

Happy vacation, Marysol! We all need time to unwind and connect with the child within us. Enjoy the moment ... will be anxious to catch up when you return.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you are a better cook, or a better photographer! You continually amaze me with what you put together with images. You should sell these framed. They would be beautiful!
Brenda

joey said...

You are most kind, Brenda. Perhaps someday :) Before digital, I did sell my photos but paper cost, developing, etc. simply payed the cost of supporting 'my habit'. Times have changed and the market is flooded with fabulous photos. I love to cook and (besides my husband) my camera is my best friend. By the way, your last touching post was memorable ...