Tuesday, July 29, 2008

SUMMER GOODIES ... RASPBERRY SPINACH SALAD / WHITE CHEDDAR WALNUT PIE

"People take pictures of the Summer,
just in case someone thought they had missed it,
and to prove that it really existed."
- Ray Davies

~ Purple Coneflower (Echinacea)

_____________________

RASPBERRY SPINACH SALAD

~ Make vinaigrette ahead so flavor melds for this lovely summer lunch or supper.

_______________

8 cups baby spinach

1 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts

1 - 1 1/2 cup fresh raspberries

3 peeled and thinly sliced kiwi fruit

Place spinach in large chilled salad bowl (glass looks great). Add 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, 1/2 of the raspberries and 1/2 of the sliced kiwi. Toss with vinaigrette as needed. Top with remaining macadamia nuts, raspberries, and kiwi. Serve with side slice of Vermont Cheddar Walnut Pie (8 servings)

Vinaigrette:

2 cups raspberry vinegar

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard

4 Tbsp. fresh chopped tarragon (2 Tbsp. dried)

1/2 cup maple syrup

pinch coarse salt

freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine raspberry vinegar, mustard, tarragon, maple syrup and salt & pepper. Slowly whisk in both olive & vegetable oil. Allow to rest before serving.

___________________________

WHITE CHEDDAR WALNUT PIE

1 pre-baked (9-inch) cooled pie crust

4 organic eggs

1/3 cup heavy cream

12 oz. grated aged white Cheddar cheese

6 thinly sliced scallions

dash Tabasco sauce

coarse salt & freshly cracked pepper to taste

1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Beat eggs and place in double boiler with cream, grated cheese and scallions. Cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, until mixture is creamy and cheese melted. Remove fro heat and cool slightly. Season with salt & pepper and dash of Tabasco.
  • Pour mixture into pie shell and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Sprinkle top of pie with walnuts and continue baking for 20-30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean and top i slightly browned.
  • Serve at room temperature beside Raspberry Spinach Salad. (6-8 servings)


4 comments:

Catherine said...

Beautiful captures of your Echinacea Joey! The Raspberry spinach salad sounds really good!
I've been berry picking for two wks..raspberries & blackberries...
the raspberries are almost finished, now I know what to use them in..:) I bet you have a really good berry pie recipe! :)
Enjoy your evening Bloggin Sis!
Sorry to hear about your hubby's encounter with the bees..:(
Hug's
Cat

Anonymous said...

Happy summer Joey! I haven't commented in awhile but check into read your blog every several days. I enjoyed your "Night & Day" post so much. We in Michigan are so lucky to have our beautiful northern lakes! This past Sunday my husband and I took a lovely drive from our home up through Silver Lake, Pentwater, and Ludington...top down on the Beetle and sunscreen slathered on. One of those just right days with very clear light...not too hot and not too cold. Light sparkling off the water everywhere we went. Sometimes I wish we could all be kids again where you live for the moment you are in. I really have to fight hard against that feeling of "I'm having such a great time, but I really should be home doing ________". Fill in the blank with some task. I guess I so enjoy your recipes and pictures because its like I am on a mini-vacation each time I scroll through your blog. Keep up the great work!

Your friend Sheila from west Michigan

Anonymous said...

The coneflower pics are just awesome. I have missed you. I decided to blog again and it's a long story with people breaking in my house--errrrr! So I'm fine and it's good to be back at your place. I thought about you this evening as I fixed an eggplant sandwich. Cooking always makes me think of you and your beautiful blog.

joey said...

Thanks dear Cat. The salad is good but it's the cheddar cheese pie I really love, good with any greens. Your stash of berries sounds yummy ~ nothing better than simply devouring them. Back at the lake again ~ my sister was rushed into hospital :(

Thanks Sheila! Glad you overcame the 'guilt'(I know since I'm a 'worrywart' also) and enjoyed one of my favorite pastimes ~ touring the Great Lakes coastline. I still dream of my classic Wolfsberg Edition w/w Beetle convertible!

I'm so happy to see you back, Anna. Do hope your life is calming down. You are so gifted ... ever think of writing a book about your adventurous life ;)

Thank you, Nancy. I still am on Blotanical but my posts aren't showing. Have written twice with no reply ~ there must be many other bloggers scratching their heads also.