Tuesday, July 01, 2008

WELCOME JULY ... GROW, CELEBRATE and EXPERIENCE / LEMON TORTE with RASPBERRY PUREE

"Summer is the time when one sheds one's tensions with one's clothes, and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit. A few of those days and you can become drunk with the belief that all's right with the world."
~ Ada Louise Huxtable

~ 'The remains of the day'

(Hubbard Lake)

_____


"The summer night is like a perfection of thought."
~ Wallace Stevens

__________________

LEMON TORTE

~ A delightful end to a perfect summer evening

_______

Crust:

1 5 1/2 oz. package finely crushed lemon crunch cookies

6 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter

Lemon Filling:

4 egg whites

1 cup sugar

4 egg yolks

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

1 1/2 Tbsp finely grated lemon peel

1 1/2 cup whipped whipping cream

1 10-oz. package thawed frozen raspberries

  • For crust: Combine crushed cookies and butter in medium bowl and blend well. Pat into bottom and sides of 8 1/2-inch springform pan. Refrigerate.
  • For filling: Beat egg whites on medium speed of electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly until stiff peaks form. Beat egg yolks in another bowl until thick and lemon colored. Stir in lemon juice and peel. Gently fold egg whites into yolks, blending well. Gently fold in cream.
  • Pour mixture on crust and freeze.
  • Puree raspberries in food processor or blender. Press through strainer into serving bowl.
  • Let torte stand at room temperature 10 minutes before serving. Remove springform. Transfer torte to platter and serve immediately with pureed raspberries. (8-10 servings)

This delightful recipe has been passed around for over 25 years!

6 comments:

beckie said...

Joey, such great quotes. I love the one by Huxtable- you can just see and feel what she is talking about.
Now, I have a cooking(baking?) question. The company that I have coming, one is a diabetic and we have just found out hubby's sugar is high also and needs to get it down with diet. So, all of your wondeful recipes-can I use a sugar substitute? I don't have much experience cooking like this. Thankfully, you can use a lot of low-fat etcs. now, but I know with sugar it can be tricky. I just love coming here and drooling!

A wildlife gardener said...

Great recipe, Joey..thanks for sharing :) We ate one tonight but I must confess I bought it from the supermarket..it was French though, if that counts :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely "remains of the day." And do you actually cook all these recipes? People must love to visit you!
Brenda

joey said...

Hi Beckie. I have never used sugar substitutes when baking (I'd rather have a small piece) but I do know about diabetic company since my sister (who has lived with me for year and a half in between the hospital, miraculously surviving her many horrific illnesses - meningitis and 2 bouts of endocarditis) battles diabetis 'big time'. 45 carbs/meal is what we aim for and what her insulin covers. Forgetting desserts, the recipes posted here are based on seasonal and mostly a Mediterranean diet, which is what we eat ... heavy on vegetables, fish, lean meat and chicken. When serving dessert, offer SMALL portions of fresh fruit (which also counts as carbs) as an alternative. Diabetics can eat very well and MUST (Exercise is also key to maintaining good blood sugar levels.) The time is now for your dear husband to watch his diet. (There are many wonderful sites for diet and menus). I lost my brother to this dreaded disease and have wrapped my arms around my sister, helping her control hers. Big hugs ... do have a wonderful time with your guests. I'll be anxious to hear ...

I'm sure it was delicious, Wildlife ... a perfect summer dessert.

Brenda ... the photo is how I love to spend 'The Remains of the Day', watching the sunset in my gazebo here at the lake. Indeed I do cook all of these recipes and love to entertain family & friends. I post easy and seasonal food that flies out of the kitchen (often teased that if an emergency arises, many will flood my doorstep). Since the cottage will be filled for the holiday, tonight my kitchen is humming ... 2 cashew crusted zucchini pies, 2 mushroom/ artichoke crustless quiches, and 2 dozen spinach & feta egg muffins (I'm writing and cooking). I should photograph my food but ...

Catherine said...

OOOh...Another lemon recipe to die for, I am still drooling over the lemon bars in earlier post!:) I love your thought's on welcoming July, & your beautiful remain's of the day shot~awww that hubbard lake!
Hope you are enjoying your time their, & hope the fourth was a day filled with ~~
friends,family,delicious food~i'm sure! Fire~work's,smile's & hug's, peace & love..lot's of pina colada's..& lot's of happy moment's!
Cat

joey said...

You are such a dear, Cat ... do hope your 4th was delightful also. Ours was perfect ... weather, food, family & friends devine!