Friday, November 14, 2008

'GOLDEN DAYS' ~ PRALINE PUMPKIN TORTE

"The thinnest yellow light of November is more warming and exhilarating than any wine they tell of. The mite which November contributes becomes equal in value to the bounty of July."
~ Henry David Thoreau


~ Golden days
______________

PRALINE PUMPKIN TORTE

... A perfect ending for a festive dinner (from Sunset clipping ~ Nov 2005)

_______________

3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/3 cup unsalted butter

3 Tsp. plus 1 3/4 cup whipping cream

1 cup chopped pecans

4 large eggs

1 2/3 cups granulated sugar

1 cup vegetable oil

2 cups cooked pumpkin (canned fine)

1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

3/4 tsp. ground ginger

3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

1/4 cup powdered sugar

  • Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Butter 2 9-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with parchment.
  • PRALINE: In heavy 1-2 quart pan over low heat, stir brown sugar, butter, and 3 Tbsp. whipping cream until melted and blended, about 5 minutes. Pour half the brown sugar mixture into each of the cake pans. Sprinkle 3/4 cup chopped pecans evenly into pans.
  • CAKE: In a bowl, bet eggs, granulated sugar, and oil until well blended. Stir in Pumpkin and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, spices, baking soda, and salt to blend. Whisk dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture until well blended. Pour half the batter into each of the pans; smooth top.
  • Bake cake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Let cool in pans on racks about 5 minutes; invert onto racks and remove pans and paper. Let cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
  • TOPPING: Up to 6 hours before serving, beat remaining 1 3/4 cups whipping cream on high speed in chilled bowl until soft peaks form. On low speed, beat in powdered sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp vanilla just until blended.
  • ASSEMBLE: Set one cake layer, pecan praline side up, on serving platter. Spread two-thirds of whipped cream mixture over the top. Set second layer, praline side up, on top. Cover with remaining whipped cream mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chopped pecans. (12 servings)






16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thoreau always got it right. :)

Roses and Lilacs said...

I love your collages!

I have to tell you I had your onion recipe last evening. It sounded so good I couldn't wait to try it. It was good and so easy. I love onions.
Marnie

Marysol said...

I just had to come by and ogle my dear Joey's beautiful offerings, in the hopes that it'll brighten this dreary Friday. And, as always, I'm never disappointed.

Joey, your Praline Pumpkin Torte sounds absolutely sinful. Sadly, I'll have to save this one, until after I'm done baking Thumper's birthday cake. So, until I recover from that sugary mess, my haute cuisine may very well be a can of Cheez Whiz. Crackers, optional.

Thank you Joey for all the ways you inspire!

marmee said...

lovely and yummy goodness, what more could one ask for.
have a great weekend.

Amy said...

Your collage of photos is so lovely, and the quote so true. In our first home we painted the living room the most wonderful shade of yellow - it always made me feel good.

Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful and yummy at the same time.

joey said...

I would imagine you are as fond of Thoreau as I am, Nancy. Thank you. Am anxious to see more of your today post ... I was in a hurry leaving for the lake to check in on my sister.

Thanks, Marnie, and glad you enjoyed the onion recipe. Try the grilled onion blossom! Another favorite.

Dear creative Marysol ~ save me a piece of Thumper's birthday cake, which I'm sure will be amazing, and I'll save you a piece of my Praline Pumpkin Torte! Hope you're on the mend ... sure sounds like it!

Thanks dear Marmee ~ just arrived at the lake, celebrating my sister's life. Snow is in the forcast! Enjoy your weekend also.

Thank you, Amy. My pansies are still thriving but not for long ... snow is on the way. When I get home, I predict they will be history! Hues of yellow have followed me in every home ... I'm a big fan!

Hi dear Anna and thanks ~ yummy yes!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Well, you already know how I feel about yellows, oranges and reds. Love them!
Brenda

Unknown said...

Okay, I am SO trying that pumpkin praline torte for Thanksgiving! (I'd make it sooner, but it looks like it would be dangerous for me to have in the house... I'd want to eat all of it!)

By the way, you and Nancy can count me as another Thoreau lover... :)

joey said...

Yellow hues have followed me wherever I go, Brenda.

I'll be thinking of you on Thankgiving, dear Kim, toasting you with a bite of praline torte ;) Once introduced to Thoreau, we breathe his words that then beat in our hearts.

Kylee Baumle said...

I love the yellow leaves! But even more, thanks for the pumpkin recipe. Last Thanksgiving, I posted my recipe for Pumpkin Torte, which we all love, but I'm going to have to try this. It sounds scrumptious! I love just about anything pumpkin.

Katarina said...

Your yellow collages are great! Very decorative. I'm amazed by the variety of your recipes - this cake must be heaven!
Enjoy your weekend!
Katarina

Anonymous said...

Hi Joey, I love every word Thoreau ever wrote and this is no exception. Your photos are so warming with those bright hues and the torte sounds delightful. I am still thinking about that onion recipe and glad to see someone else tried it. Yum, again.
Frances

joey said...

Thank you, Kylee. As you might suspect, I also love versatile pumpkin and can't seem to get my fill!

Enjoy the weekend also, Katarina. Cooking has been a life-long passion as well as photography and gardening. Yes, the cake is a bit of heaven on earth!

Hi Frances and thank you. Yes, I also identify with the gift of Thoreau's thoughts. The torte and onion ... both great taste treats ~ but not side-by-side :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds just divine! I think I'll try it for something different at Thanksgiving. Thanks so very much for sharing!

Lovely photos as always! Kim

joey said...

You are most kind, Kim ~ I love your blog, a 'Thanksgiving' find. I will toast you sharing this treat!