PRALINE PUMPKIN TORTE
... A perfect ending for a festive dinner (from Sunset clipping ~ Nov 2005)
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup unsalted butter
3 Tsp. plus 1 3/4 cup whipping cream
1 cup chopped pecans
4 large eggs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cooked pumpkin (canned fine)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Butter 2 9-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with parchment.
- PRALINE: In heavy 1-2 quart pan over low heat, stir brown sugar, butter, and 3 Tbsp. whipping cream until melted and blended, about 5 minutes. Pour half the brown sugar mixture into each of the cake pans. Sprinkle 3/4 cup chopped pecans evenly into pans.
- CAKE: In a bowl, bet eggs, granulated sugar, and oil until well blended. Stir in Pumpkin and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, spices, baking soda, and salt to blend. Whisk dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture until well blended. Pour half the batter into each of the pans; smooth top.
- Bake cake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Let cool in pans on racks about 5 minutes; invert onto racks and remove pans and paper. Let cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- TOPPING: Up to 6 hours before serving, beat remaining 1 3/4 cups whipping cream on high speed in chilled bowl until soft peaks form. On low speed, beat in powdered sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp vanilla just until blended.
- ASSEMBLE: Set one cake layer, pecan praline side up, on serving platter. Spread two-thirds of whipped cream mixture over the top. Set second layer, praline side up, on top. Cover with remaining whipped cream mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chopped pecans. (12 servings)