Friday, November 21, 2008

PLANNNING THE FEAST ~ CRANBERRY PEAR PIE with OATMEAL STREUSEL

"The Indians and English use them much, boyling them with Sugar for Sauce to eat with their Meat, and it is a delicious sauce."
~ John Josselyn
(while visiting New England in 1663)


~ Cranberry
_______________

CRANBERRY PEAR PIE with OATMEAL STREUSEL

~ Save room for a piece (or least a forkful) of this delightful seasonal dessert (from stockpile favorites Cooking Light - Nov 2007)

____________

STREUSEL:

3/4 cup regular oats

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

dash of salt

2 Tbsp. chilled butter, cut into small pieces

FILLING:

3 cups (2 large) 1/2-inch cubed, peeled Anjou pear

2 cups fresh cranberries

2/3 cup packed light brown sugar

2 1/2 Tbsp.cornstarch

________

1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pastry shell

  • Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
  • STREUSEL: Combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
  • FILLING: Combine cranberries, pear, 2/3 cup brown sugar and cornstarch in large bowl; toss well to combine. Spoon mixture into pastry shell; sprinkle streusel over mixture. Bake for 1 hour until bubbly and streusel is browned. Cool at least 1 hour on wire rack. Serve with good vanilla ice cream.



10 comments:

Roses and Lilacs said...

Ummmm, I love cranberries--and pears. Sounds good.
Marnie

Anonymous said...

This would a nice dessert for Thanksgiving, a different way to get a serving of cranberries. :)

Anonymous said...

Cranberries clense the palate before the next bite --don't they! Makes the food taste better. And then with your grand recipe...they can be a treat all by themselves.

Brenda Pruitt said...

I too love cranberries. I'm not likely cooking. Husband is on call many holidays. I get to spend the quiet day with the pets, reading or whatever. I love that kind of day. Perfect for the hermit I am! I know...doesn't sound very festive, does it?
Brenda

joey said...

Marnie ~ you don't have to cook to enjoy reading yummy recipes ;) My heart is with you finding a solution to other types of 'delicious' photo files ... a huge issue ... believe me, I'm beside with you on this issue ;)

P.G. ~ Once November rolls around, I'm obsessed with cranberries ... can't get my fill ... such a cute mighty package filled with exploding antioxidents!

Yes, Anna, indeed they do ... a 'versatile' seasonal treat fitting for appetizers, main offerings, salads, and desserts. How good is that! (If I could be reborn as a treat, it might be a humble cranberry ;)

As much as I love to cook, photograph, garden, and write, I too treasure solitude, Brenda. Quiet 'hermit moments' can be most festive since they rejuvenate and fill my heart with passion to again 'hit the kitchen and garden', focus on life behind the lens of my camera, and search my soul with pen in hand. Happy 'festive' Thanksgiving, dear friend.

beckie said...

I just got a bag of fresh cranberries today. Now all I need are some pears. I think my family will love this for Thanksgiving. Great quote Joey!

joey said...

Pop a cranberry and think of me, dear Beckie. Enjoy the thankful day knowing mine has been richer, meeting you ;)

Anonymous said...

Cranberries and pears together -- what a perfect combination! Yum.

marmee said...

i thought i left a comment. but i love the idea of cranberries and pear together. yummy!

joey said...

Agree dear Nancy ~ you might notice I post many combos with pear and compatible favorites. Food like flowers are a feast for both eye and palate ;)

Hi Marmee ~ enjoy this delightful taste treat!