“Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough.”
- Coat large stockpot with cooking spray. Add mushrooms and saute 15 minutes until liquid evaporates. Add shallots and saute 1 minute. Add 1/4 tsp. salt and garlic; saute 1 minutes. Remove 1/2 cup mushroom mixture and set aside. Add broth, wine, chestnuts and thyme to pan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard thyme.
- Puree in pan with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth or place 1/2 of broth in blender and puree, repeating procedure with remaining broth.
- Stir in remaining 1/4 salt, sour cream, and black pepper. Return reserved mushroom mixture to pan with cooked crumbled bacon.
- Ladle hot soup into serving bowl and top with additional dollop of sour cream and sprinkling of thyme croutons. (6 servings)
- Place 2 cups of orange cranberry sauce, brown sugar, bourbon, lemon juice and lemon zest in saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature. Remove 1/2 cup and reserve remaining mixture.
- Prepare grill. Rinse and pat dry turkey tenderloins. Sprinkle with salt & cracked pepper. Brush with cool cranberry mixture and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Grill over medium-high heat 10-12 minutes on each side or until meat thermometer registers 165-degrees in thickest portion of tenderloin. Remove from hear and let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with remaining cranberry sauce. (8-10 servings)
* FAVORITE ORANGE CRANBERRY SAUCE
12 ounce bag fresh cranberries
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
grated zest from oranges
Rinse cranberries and pick off stems. Combine sugar and orange juice in medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Add cranberries and zest and boil gently until cranberries begin to pop, about 7 minutes.
ROASTED VEGETABLES with PECAN GREMOLATA
~ Sure to become an autumn favorite from old (Nov 2003) Bon Appetit.
1 lb. medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, then crosswise
1 lb. medium parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise, then crosswise
1 lb. turnips, peeled, halved, cut into 1-inch thick wedges
1 1/4 lbs. brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved
6 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup pecans
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 oz.)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
1 Tbsp finely grated lemon peel
1 clove minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees. Toss carrots, parsnips, turnips, and brussels sprouts in large brown with 3 Tbsp. oil. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle with salt & freshly ground pepper. Roast until vegetables are tender, tossing often, about 1 hour. Transfer vegetables to large platter; cool.
- Using on/off turns, chop pecans in processor until coarsely ground. Transfer ground pecans to small bowl.; stir in grated cheese, parsley, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, lemon peel, garlic and 1 Tbsp. oil. Season gremolata to taste with salt.
- Drizzle vegetables with remaining 2 Tbsp. oil and remaining 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. Sprinkle gremolata over vegetables just before serving. (8 servings)