"Easter spells out beauty,
the rare beauty of new life."
MUSHROOM SPINACH STRATA
~ Lovely to look at ... luscious to eat
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 lb. sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
8 slices good whole wheat bread,
trimmed & halved diagonally
2 cups shredded Swiss or Gouda cheese
1 10-oz. package chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
6 slices crisp bacon (optional)
4 organic beaten eggs
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup milk
coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Grease a 10-inch quiche pan and set aside.
- Melt butter and saute mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Add chopped onion to pan and saute for 5 minutes.
- Arrange 6 of the half slices of bread to cover bottom of quiche pan. Atop bread, spread 3/4 of sauteed mushrooms and all of the onions, 1 cup of cheese, and drained spinach. Sprinkle crisp bacon over top. Arrange 8 half-slices over spinach, overlapping the pieces to fit in a circle; place remaining 2 half pieces over center.
- Combine milk, eggs, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper. Pour over bread. Cover and let sit 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake strata, uncovered, about 40 minutes or until almost firm. Place remaining mushrooms in center of strata and bake 10-15 minutes more or until knife inserted comes out clean. (6 servings)
Organic baby spring Greens
Blue cheese or goat cheese
Toasted walnuts, pecans, pine nuts, or pistachios
Thinly sliced red onion
Blackberries, raspberries, blueberries or strawberries
Kiwi or star fruit
Place greens in chilled salad bowl (healthy handful for each guest). Top with cheese, toasted nuts, sliced onion and fruit. Spoon vinaigrette to taste over each salad serving.
1/2 cup raspberry (or black raspberry) vinegar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup salad oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dry mustard
3 chopped scallions
Mix all ingredients (except oil) together in blender. Blend, slowly adding oil, until well combined. Serve spooned over salad.