"The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers."
COCONUT POUND CAKE with LEMON CURD FILLING
~ From the archives (Bon Appetit/June 1984) appears this favorite Spring classic
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) room temperature unsalted butter
3 cups sugar
6 room temperature eggs
3 cup AP flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sour cream
4 oz. flaked coconut
2 tsp. vanilla
Lemon Curd Filling (recipe follows)
Orange Glaze (recipe follows)
lemon leaves (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Generously grease 10-inch tube pan (preferably with removable bottom) with vegetable shortening (or Pam) and dust with flour.
- Cream butter in large bowl of electric mixer. Slowly add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- Sift dry ingredients. Blend into butter mixture alternately with sour cream. Mix in coconut and vanilla. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 1.2 hours. Cool cake in pan on rack 30 minutes. Invert cake onto rack an cool completely.
- Cut cake in half to make 2 layers, using serrated knife. Fill with 1 1/4 cups lemon curd; spread 1/4 cup on top, allowing some to drizzle down sides. Can be prepared 1 day ahead. (12 servings)
Lemon Curd Filling
6 large lemons
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) unsalted butter
6 room temperature beaten eggs
Remove peel from lemons (yellow part only), using vegetable peeler (or zester). Chop finely in processor. Squeeze lemons and measure 1 cup juice. Heat juice with peel, sugar and butter in double boiler over simmering water until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Strain eggs into lemon mixture. Cook until custard leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, stirring constantly, about 20 minutes; do not boil. Pour into jar or bowl. Place plastic wrap on surface to prevent skin from forming; let cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight before using. (Can be refrigerated up to 1 month.)
1 cup fresh orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. almond extract
Heat all ingredients in heavy small saucepan over low heat, swirling pan occasionally until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil until reduced by 1/4, about 5 minutes.
"When you have only two pennies left in the world,
buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."