"Listen, the wind is rising,
and the air is wild with leaves,
We have had our summer evenings,
Now for October eves!"
~ Humbert Wolfe
FUSILLI with FRESH TOMATO & FETA
~ A 'simple' family favorite, perfect for the fresh tomato and basil harvest
2-3 lbs. ripe Italian plum tomatoes
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
6-8 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 coarsely chopped red onion
1 tsp. coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 lb. good fusilli (whole wheat pasta is also great)
6-8 oz. crumbled feta
- Seed and dice tomatoes. Place in large bowl.
- Add vinegar, olive oil, basil, parsley, onion, salt & pepper. Toss with tomatoes and let marinate at room temperature at least 1 hour.
- Cook fusilli in large pot of boiling salted water according to directions (tender but still firm). Drain well.
- Toss fusilli with 1/2 of fresh tomato sauce. Serve topped with remaining sauce, crumbled feta, and PARMESAN BREAD (4 servings)
BAKED PARMESAN BREAD
Loaf of good Italian bread or French baguette
3/4 cup unsalted room temperature butter
1 cup loosely packed chopped parsley
freshly cracked pepper to taste
1/2 -3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice loaf of bread lengthwise. Combine butter, parsley, pepper and grated Parmesan cheese. Spread evenly over each half. Bake until golden brown.
- Slice and serve.