Monday, November 17, 2008

AUTUMN 'GOODIES' ~ AGING OAKLEAF / MAPLE ROASED BRUSSELS SPROUTS with CHESTNUTS

"I like spring, but it is too young. I like summer, but it is too proud. So I like best of all autumn, because its tone is mellower, its colours are richer, and it is tinged with a little sorrow. Its golden richness speaks not of the innocence of spring, nor the power of summer, but of the mellowness and kindly wisdom of approaching age. It knows the limitations of life and its content."


~ November beauty

~ Early autumn

~ Summer

~ Aging cycle

__________________

MAPLE ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS with CHESTNUTS

~ Delicious bittersweet autumn taste to enjoy now and tuck away for Thanksgiving ( from Food & Wine/Nov 2005)
______________

1/2 cup canola oil
2 1/4 lbs. baby brussels sprouts or regular halved lengthwise brussels sprouts
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter (cut in tablespoons and soft)
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
1/4 cup Grade A pure maple syrup
1 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 cup coarsely chopped vacuum-packed roasted chestnuts
1 Tbsp. walnut oil

  • Heat canola oil in very large skillet until shimmering. Add brussels sprouts and season with salt & pepper. Cook over high heat without stirring until browned, about 2 minutes. Add unsalted butter and brown sugar and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally until brown sugar is melted. Add Maple syrup and cook, stirring occasionally until brussels sprouts are just crisp-tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in cider vinegar. Add chestnuts and walnut oil and cook until hot.
  • Transfer brussels sprouts with slotted spoon to bowl. Boil cooking liquid over high heat until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Pour sauce over brussels sprouts and serve. (10 servings)
___________________

Brussels sprouts can even help to improve your skin (not to mention fight off infections), as they're rich in vitamin A and beta carotene. These tiny powerhouse also contain vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, manganese, fiber, potassium, vitamin B6 and thiamin (vitamin B1), iron, phosphorous, protein, magnesium, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin E, copper and calcium.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joey, what a poignant quote at the beginning of this post. Age really does slow us down and gives kind wisdom. Your photo displays are wonderful as always and then there is the delicious recipe. What a well rounded offering, as always. I was going to say a well rounded woman you are, but thought better of it, :-)
Frances

Anonymous said...

I love the natural aging process of Hydrangeas. Your collage of blooms & leaves is very autumnal today.

joey said...

Thank you, dear Frances, for the kind words. Regarding the 'well rounded woman' ... are you peeking in my window? I confess, I did overdo last week celebrating my birthday and another honored lunch on Wed. ;0) ... triple walking sessions this week!

Thanks P.G. ~ you have known me long enough to know how crazy I am about hydrangeas, and the Oakleaf ... my favorite ... stunning in all seasons.

RURAL said...

Such a beautiful quote, a fitting companion to your magnificent shots. Such stunning hydrangeas, they make me yearn even more for it to be summer again soon.

Anonymous said...

There is so much insight with your pictures and words. Love the hydrangea going through the seasonal changes and especially the view out the window. I can see where this would take a lot of planning on your part..very impressive.

I read on Nancy's blog that you were at the Lake with your sister. I know you had a grand time. I'm glad to hear things are going a bit better. I'm sure she likes her freedom with you assisting to make it happen.

Cindy said...

I love that quote. It aptly describes the seasons. As for the recipes, I love brussel spouts and am glad it's finally the season for them. This recipe is one I have to try.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Well well well as always it sounds just delicious, what do you suggest to go with it? / xoxo Tyra

joey said...

Hi Jen ~ and thanks. I have several varieties and love each (especially the fact that they keep giving joy ... love dried blooms in arrangements) but oakleaf hydrangeas have a special place in my heart and wish everyone had space for this beauty in their garden.

Thank you, dear Anna, always so kind. It's been hard letting my sister go. Besides major health issues, a huge part of her time with us was preparing her for her journey back home. As I write, things are fine and we had a lovely weekend together (most impressed with all of her caretakers) ... this is my beautiful Thanksgiving tale.

Thanks Cindy ~ it seems you either LOVE brussels sprouts or HATE them. I grew up hating them and now love them. Have you ever oven roasted them? Yum!

Hello dear Tyra ~ are you a brussels sprouts lover also :) Poultry and game birds (domestic and wild) are delicious companion foods. We will be celebrating Thanksgiving Day next week where 'turkey is king' on many tables ~ healthy brussels sprouts are a fitting side dish.

Bren Haas said...

Love the layout of these photos. Can you share what program you use to do the editing?
Happy November to you my dear friend.

Rose said...

The quote is so inspirational; I feel a little bit like autumn myself:)

I am going to have to try this recipe for brussels sprouts--my husband loves them, so I do serve them quite frequently, usually with a sprinkle of vinegar.

joey said...

Thanks dear Bren (photoshop & picasa). Happy November to you also.

Go for it my dear 'adventuresome', autumn friend, Rose!

vermontflowerfarm@outlook.com said...

Hi Joey;
I'll give the brussels recipe a try. I am still amazed that I like this vegetable as many, many years ago as a small kid I waded through the snow with a hatchet to lop off a stalk of brussel sprouts to bring in, frozen solid and quite heavy, for the next week's meals. Actually had some last night--$2.50 a pound here.

George Africa
The Vermont Gardener
http://thevermontgardener.blogspot.com

Philip Bewley said...

What a spectacular post...fabulous images of the seasons and a brussels sprout recipe...I love brussels sprouts...Joey! It just struck me that this is what I will bring for Thanksgiving! I am supposed to bring two sides, and I was trying to think what to do. This will be perfect.
I loved the poem, too.
Best regards,
Philip

joey said...

Oh dear 'inspiring' George ~ always a delight to hear from you. I so enjoy reading your journal through life. You have a gift for pulling me in, hating to leave ... a sign of a great writer! (Hopefully, my finished novels will do the same.) Brussels sprouts have a way of drawing fans 'out of the woodwork'! We either love or hate them. Thanks for sharing and I will think of you and your 'hatchet' with each bite. Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving!

Philip, you are most kind. It's been a joy connecting with a kindred soul! Brussels sprouts shout memories ... often offered as a child, I HATED them, and now can't get my fill. This is a fun recipe to introduce others to the joy of this 'cute' healthy vegetable. I will so look forward to your next heartfelt post!

Catherine said...

Another lovely post Joey! I love your pics & collages..beautiful seeing your November beauty throught your beautiful windows the way you see it!:) My husband LOVES brussel sprouts he eats them often, but every Thanksgiving I try to find a new way to fix them,thinking maybe I will like them better! I will have to try this one for sure! I knew they were good for you, but didnt realize how rich in vitamens they were`thanks for the info!
Always learning something new here!
((HUGS)) Bloggin Sis'
Cat